new survey-type publication

Arun Jagota jagota at cse.ucsc.edu
Thu Sep 17 15:26:37 EDT 1998

New refereed e-publication (action editor: Risto Miikkulainen)

comprehensive area bibliography with thematic and keyword indices

Samuel Kaski, Jari Kangas, Teuvo Kohonen,
Bibliography of Self-Organizing Map (SOM) Papers: 1981--1997,
Neural Computing Surveys, 1, 102--350, 1998, 3343 references.
http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~jagota/NCS

Abstract:

The Self-Organizing Map (SOM) algorithm has attracted an ever
increasing amount of interest among researchers and practitioners in
a wide variety of fields. The SOM and a variant of it, the LVQ, have
been analyzed extensively, a number of variants of them have been
developed and, perhaps most notably, they have been applied
extensively within fields ranging from engineering sciences to
medicine, biology, and economics. We have collected a comprehensive
list of 3343 scientific papers that use the algorithms, have
benefited from them, or contain analyses of them. The list is
intended to serve as a source for literature surveys. We have
provided both a thematic and a keyword index to help finding
articles of interest.