NN commercial successes

Eric Hartman ehartman at pav.com
Tue Sep 8 15:49:00 EDT 1998

>Michael Arbib wrote:
>
> b) What are the "big success stories" (i.e., of the kind the general
> public could understand) for neural networks contributing to the
> construction of "artificial" brains, i.e., successfully fielded
> applications of NN hardware and software that have had a major
> commercial or other impact?

Pavilion Technologies, Inc., is a very strong NN-based commerical
 success story.
See Pavilion's web site
   http://www.pavtech.com
for extensive information about Pavilion.

Pavilion produces NN-based software for modeling, optimizating, and
controling
  continuous process manufacturing processes.
Hundreds of on-line applications are in operation across a number of
major industries
  world-wide.

Pavilion's many software products include:
 - Process Insights, primarily geared toward steady-state modeling and
optimization
 - Process Perfecter, a (nonlinear/linear) dynamic, closed-loop
controller/optimizer
 - Software CEM
 - Virtual OnLine Analyzer
 - BOOST

Pavilion's primary customer base spans blue chip corporations in the
petrochemical,
power generation, refining, pulp and paper, and food processing markets.

The technology is widely applicable to all continuous manufacturing
processes.
Pavilion maintains its headquarters in Austin, with offices in New
Jersey, Brussels,
Frankfurt, and Tokoyo. Pavilion currently employs over 100 people
worldwide.

Pavilion was incorporated in Austin, Texas in September 1991. Pavilion
has been honored
with numerous awards for both technical and business accomplishments,
including:
 - Process Insights received a second consecutive Reader's Choice Award
      for "Best Neural Network Software" from Control Magazine.
 - Process Perfecter received Product of the Year title at the
      1997 KPMG Austin ICE High Tech Awards program.
 - Pavilion has twice been recognized as one of the 20 fastest growing
      companies in Austin by the Austin Business Journal and Ernst &
Young.
 - Pavilion has been awarded 8 patents for technology by the U.S. Patent
Office,
      with 10 additional patents pending.

Application Example:
  Chevron Chemical s Experience with Pavilion's Process Perfecter

"The installation of Pavilion s Perfecter controllers on our BP-licensed,

gas-phase high density polyethylene (HDPE) and linear low density
 polyethylene (LLDPE) reactors has been a very rewarding project," says
 a Chevron spokesman. "The controllers have been well received by the
operating group.  We chose Pavilion for the ease of modeling from
historical
data, nonlinear capabilities of their dynamic multivariable controller,
and the
polymer experience and competence of the Pavilion engineers."

"Results from this project have been impressive. Our reactor regulatory,
quality and product transition control have been significantly improved
using Pavilion s dynamic multivariable controller and neural net based
virtual on-line analyzers. The results have exceeded our expectations,"
says the Chevron spokesman.

"We have been working with Pavilion for three or four years, using their
Process Insights modeling software," says Russ Clinton, Supervisor of
Automated Systems for the Chevron site.  "Pavilion s expertise and unique

controller capabilities were well matched to the needs of ourapplication.

We have recently decided to extend Pavilion s control technology to our
autoclave low density polyethylene (LDPE) process."

For more information about Pavilion, please visit Pavilion's web site:
  http://www.pavtech.com

Dr. Eric Hartman
Chief Scientist
hartman at pav.com