Multiprocessor boards for neural network simulations...

Simon Thorpe thorpe at cerco.ups-tlse.fr
Thu Sep 3 08:14:08 EDT 1998

Hi,

	Over the past few months I have been in discussion with Neil Carson
from Causality Ltd. http://www.causality.com/ in the UK about the
possibility of developping hardware for doing neural network simulations.
Right now, the project is looking very promising,  and Neil has said that
he would be happy to go ahead and build a first batch of 25 boards as soon
as he can be reasonably confident that there will be enough buyers. I
myself will be buying 8-10 boards, but we need a few other interested
people to get the project off the ground. I was wondering whether anyone on
the comp-neuro mailing list might be interested.

	Briefly, what we are proposing is the following. The basic board
will be a standard PCI board that could be used in PCs, Macs or indeed any
other computer with PCI slots in it. Each board would be fitted with 6
processor modules, three on each side, which would plug into standard
SODIMM memory slots (Small Outline Dual In-Line Memory Modules), the same
type of slots that are used for memory expansion on laptop computers. Each
of these daughter boards would have a StrongARM  SA-110 micro-processor, a
Digital 21285-A PCI bridge circuit, and 32 Mbytes of SDRAM. In effect, each
board would be a computer in its own right, and would run a version of Unix
(Linux or NetBSD). It would also have an IP address, allowing messages to
be sent efficiently via the PCI bus from processor to processor. Neil and
the other programmers at Causality will look after the message passing
mechanisms, probably using I20 protocols (if you know what that is).

	In our case, we want to use these boards to run a parallel version
of SpikeNET, our asynchronous spiking neuronal network simulator. It turns
out that this particular program would parallelise very nicely on such a
system, because the communication bandwidth between processors is kept very
low. If you're interested in SpikeNET, just let me know - we're seriously
thinking about making the program available to whoever wants to use it. But
in fact, the same hardware could also be used for any sort of parallel
program that could be run using PVM or MPI message passing protocols,
including (I presume) Parallel Genesis.

	There are some limitations though. The StrongARM SA-110 doesn't
have a floating point unit, but as long as you only want to do integer
calculations, it goes like a rocket. Our own software (which is integer
only) runs as fast on the StrongARM as on a Pentium II of the same clock
speed. This is really impressive, since the StrongARM doesn't have a second
level cache (unlike the Pentium II) and the code has (as yet) not been
optimised for the StrongARM at all. I don't know what the situation is with
Genesis - my guess is that there's a lot of floating point in it, but I'm
not sure that this could be recoded for fixed point - after all, most
neurones don't have voltages that reach 10 to the power 200 volts ;-)

	The reasons for choosing the StrongARM are pretty straightforward.
It is very small, doesn't get hot (< I Watt) and is cheap. This means that
it becomes perfectly feasible to imagine packing large numbers of
StrongARMs in a very small space without having to worry about overheating
(imagine trying to do the same thing with Pentium IIs). In addition,
although the future of StrongARM was once in doubt (it was co-developped by
Digital and Advanced Risc Machines), it has now been bought up by Intel who
have recently announced that they will be investing heavilly in StrongARM
development. See http://developer.intel.com/design/strong/ for details.

	The current top-of-the-range StrongARM runs at 233 MHz, and this is
what Neil Carson is proposing to use in this first batch. However, in the
not to distant future there will be 400 MHz StrongARMs with 100 MHz SDRAM
memory busses. And there will be a new StrongARM processor (the SA-1500)
which will have a separate floating point unit for multimedia operations.
One of the nice features of this daughter board arrangement is that it
would be pretty simple and cost effective to do a new batch of boards using
whatever the best technology is at that moment. Another advantage of using
this sort of parallel hardware is that  even last years technology will
still be useful to you - not like conventional PCs where you feel that you
have to buy a new computer every six months if you don't want to be
obsolete.

	So, what about prices you may be saying. Well, if you are
interested it should be possible to do such a board for 1200 pounds ($2000)
on this first run.  Each board would only take one PCI slot, so with four
free PCI slots you could put up to 24 processors in a single PC! If we can
round up enough interested people, we should be able to get the boards done
in about 2 months. Please note that I am not personally going to making any
money on this, and Causality are only expecting to break even on it.
However, both Neil and I are confident that this could be a really
promising approach - we just need to get enough support to get the ball
rolling. Obviously, the more people that are interested, the cheaper it
gets....

	If you want more information, don't hesitate to contact either me
or Neil at neil at causality.com.

	Best wishes

	Simon Thorpe

Simon Thorpe
Centre de Recherche Cerveau et Cognition
133, route de Narbonne
31062 Toulouse France
Tel 33 (0)5 62 17 28 03. Fax 33 (0)5 62 17 28 09