paper on time series generation

Avner Priel priel at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Nov 5 14:12:11 EST 1998

The following preprint on the subject of time series generation by
feed-forward networks was submitted for publication in the
Physical Review E.

The paper is available from my home-page :

	http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~priel/

comments are welcome.

*************** NO HARD COPIES ******************

Long-term properties of time series generated by
a perceptron with various transfer functions
A Priel and I Kanter

Department of Physics, Bar Ilan University, 52900 Ramat Gan,Israel

ABSTRACT:  We study the effect of various transfer functions on the
properties of a time series generated by a continuous-valued
feed-forward network in which the next input vector is determined from
past output values.
The parameter space for monotonic and non-monotonic transfer functions
is analyzed in the unstable regions with the following main finding;
non-monotonic functions can produce robust chaos whereas monotonic functions
generate fragile chaos only. In the case of non-monotonic functions,
the number of positive Lyapunov exponents increases as a function of one
of the free parameters in the model, hence, high dimensional chaotic
attractors can be generated. We extend the analysis to a combination
of monotonic and non-monotonic functions.

  Priel Avner  < priel at mail.biu.ac.il >
  	       < http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~priel >
  Department of Physics,  Bar-Ilan University.
  Ramat-Gan, 52900.
  Israel.