positions at DuPont

Ilya Rybak rybaki at eplrx7.es.dupont.com
Thu May 14 15:52:24 EDT 1998

OPEN POSITIONS IN COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY AT DUPONT COMPANY

DuPont is a world leader in the chemical,  biological and  engineering
sciences, including  fundamental and applied research programs ranging
from  industrial  bioprocesses  for the  synthesis  of  chemicals  and
materials  to  genetically   improved  crops  and  discovery  of  crop
protection   chemicals.   We   are   now   seeking   Ph.D.   Principal
Investigators to join multidisciplinary teams of Life Scientists.

Positions in Computational Biology

We are a group of computer scientists,  engineers and experimentalists
using computer-based/analytical approaches to problems that arise from
the complexity and overabundance of biological data.  New technologies
in  Genomics  and   Functional   Genomics  for  gathering   biological
information have made it reasonable to expect complete  inventories of
molecular  components like genes, RNAs, and proteins in cells.  But we
still  won't  be able to  predict  biological  behavior.  How  will we
organize and understand  this  information to make it useful?  We need
new insights, new science, and technology to illuminate  the landscape
being  created by  research.  We are looking for  system's  engineers,
computer  scientists and computational  biologists to help develop new
computational tools and analytical models to extract  information from
the data.  Creativity  and the  ability to work with  colleagues  from
different  disciplines are as important as specific,  strong technical
credentials.

BioChemical Systems Engineer
-----------------------------

This position  requires  metabolic  pathway  analysis using approaches
such as MCA, flux analysis,  modeling and simulation,  and continuous,
discrete,  and  numerical  optimization  as part  of a team  approach.
Candidates  should be interested in connecting these  analytical tools
to genomic and functional  genomic-type  data  collection  (e.g.  gene
expression   profiles,  protein  profiles,   metabolites,  etc.).  The
successful candidate will likely have a Ph.D.  in Chemical Engineering
with strong credentials in biochemical  engineering and/or biology, or
some  equivalent  mix of education  and  experience.  Please refer to:
CRD98-2100

Systems Scientist
-----------------

This position  requires  experience  in  approaching  problems  with a
"process systems perspective".  Appropriate  backgrounds might include
process  control   engineering,   dynamic   systems  and   simulation,
probability  and  stochastic  processes,  decision  analysis,  dynamic
programming,  and  planning  under  uncertainty,  use of  logical  and
mathematical  models to  provide  insight  and  solutions  to  complex
problems,  large-scale data analysis and biological  systems analysis.
Informatics  (bioinformatics)  sophistication  will be a plus, but not
required,  although  interest  in  developing  tools in this  area and
working  with this kind of data will be  required.  Candidates  should
have  a  Ph.D.  and  experience  in  some  area  of  process   systems
engineering,  computer science, or dynamical  systems or related areas
of applied mathematics.  Please refer to:  CRD98-2123A

Computational Biologist
-----------------------

This  position  requires  strong  experience  in  modeling  biological
systems.  Ability  to work  with  biologists  and mine the  biological
literature to build models.  Experience in biological  neural networks
or computational  neurobiology,  for example, would be appropriate, as
is demonstrated ability to create models in systems where only partial
data is available.  Interest in using modeling/simulation as an aid in
developing system  understanding  and for making  predictions  leading
from  the  understanding.  Candidates  should  have a Ph.D.  and  both
computational    and   biological    credentials.   Familiarity   with
bioinformatics  and  bioinformatic  resources  will be a plus.  Please
refer to:  CRD98-2123B

Whether  you are just  starting  your  career or  looking  for  growth
opportunities,  we encourage  you to apply.  We are looking for highly
motivated  individuals who can become members of our research teams to
enhance  both our  success as well as their  own.  You will  enjoy our
state-of-the-art Experimental Station and facilities.  These positions
offer a highly competitive  salary and an excellent  benefits package.
We are located in  Wilmington,  DE, an area that offers an  attractive
lifestyle  with  easy  access  to  all  the  cultural,   academic  and
recreational activities on the Eastern Seaboard.

Qualified candidates should send a resume and three references to:

	DuPont Human Resources
	CRD98-#
	1007 Market Street,  N12419
	Wilmington, DE 19898

We are an equal opportunity employer.

Please make reference to the job code when responding.