paper on time series generation

Avner Priel priel at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Feb 12 10:02:30 EST 1998

The following paper on the subject of time series generation by
feed-forward networks has appeared on the
Journal of Physics A 31(4) 1189 (1998).

The paper is available from my home-page :

	http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~priel/

comments are welcome.

*************** NO HARD COPIES ******************

Noisy time series generation by feed-forward networks
A Priel, I Kanter and D A Kessler

Department of Physics, Bar Ilan University, 52900 Ramat Gan,Israel

ABSTRACT:  We study the properties of a noisy time series generated
by a continuous-valued feed-forward network in which the next input
vector is determined from past output values.
Numerical simulations of a perceptron-type network exhibit the
expected broadening of the noise-free attractor,
without changing the attractor dimension.
We show that the broadening of
the attractor due to the noise scales inversely with the size of the
system ,$N$, as $1/ \sqrt{N}$.
We show both analytically and numerically that the diffusion constant
for the phase along the attractor scales inversely with $N$.
Hence, phase coherence holds up to a time that scales linearly with
the size of the system. We find that the mean first passage time, $t$,
to switch between attractors depends on $N$, and the reduced distance
from bifurcation $\tau$ as $t = a {N \over \tau} \exp(b \tau N^{1/2})$,
where $b$ is a constant which depends on the
amplitude of the external noise. This result is obtained analytically
for small $\tau$ and confirmed by numerical simulations.

  Priel Avner  < priel at mail.biu.ac.il >
  	       < http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~priel >
  Department of Physics,  Bar-Ilan University.
  Ramat-Gan, 52900.
  Israel.