FELLOWSHIP

Sameer Singh S.Singh at exeter.ac.uk
Tue Dec 22 12:44:56 EST 1998

PANN SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP

Pattern Analysis and Neural Networks research, Exeter
University, UK
http://www.dcs.exeter.ac.uk/research/PANN

Pattern Analysis and Applications research group at Exeter
University has research interests in image processing,
pattern recognition and neural networks. The research group
provides, from time to time, finances to support Faculty
members from other research institutions to visit and work
on projects of mutual interest. The 1999 Visiting
Fellowship will provide for return airfares and full
accommodation costs in Exeter for a period of up to one
year. It is expected that senior academics who are taking a
study leave or post-doctoral staff who wish to expand their
research interests in our laboratory will find this
appointment suitable. Normally, visiting scientists will
receive partial or full salaries at their home
institutions. The 1999 fellowship must be taken on or
before 1 October 1999; the actual starting date is flexible
and can be negotiated with the group Director.

For the 1999 fellowship, we invite interested candidates in
the area of "Adaptive Image Analysis". An abstract of our
current interests is appended at the end of this message.
We are particularly interested in candidates who would
pursue research in any of the areas mentioned in the
abstract below. We would specially encourage those
complement the expertise available within our research
group, for example those who have an interest in robotics
and learning in image processing. The exact nature of
research undertaken can be discussed through email.

One of the key aims of the fellowship is to encourage
collaboration between PANN research group and other
scientists working in similar areas. This is particularly
useful for stimulating further research activity through
research grants within the UK and European communities.
Since the proposed project is of significance to defence,
transportation and space agencies, this fellowship will
provide excellent contacts with the industry for further
support in this research area.

If you are interested in making an application, then please
send a copy of your CV to Sameer Singh at
s.singh at exeter.ac.uk at the earliest possible opportunity.
Please note that the fellowship is only open at the
post-doctoral level.

Adaptive Scene Analysis

We are currently interested in researching intelligent
scene analysis on a number of sub-areas in collaboration
with the Defence Evaluation and Research Agency. These
research areas include adaptive classifier development,
modelling feedback mechanisms in image processing at
various levels, optimal feature selection, dynamic control,
development of contextual, spatial and temporal awareness
models, self-assessment, validation and learning mechanisms
and building robotic systems that incorporate such vision
infrastructure for navigation and control.

___

Sameer Singh
Director, PANN Research
Department of Computer Science