Please distribute

Partha Mitra pmitra at bell-labs.com
Mon Apr 20 22:58:09 EDT 1998

_______________________
Analysis of Neural Data
_______________________

Modern methods and open issues in the analysis
and interpretation of multi-variate time-series
and imaging data in the neurosciences

>> 16 August - 29 August 1998
>> Marine Biological Laboratories - Woods Hole, MA

A working group of scientists committed to
quantitative approaches to problems in neuroscience
will focus their efforts on experimental and
theoretical issues related to the analysis of large,
single- and multi-channel data sets.

The motivation for the work group is based on issues
that arise in two complimentary areas critical to an
understanding of brain function. The first involves
advanced signal processing methods, particularly
those appropriate for emerging multi-site recording
techniques and noninvasive imaging techniques. The
second involves the development of a calculus to
study the dynamical behavior of nervous systems and
the computations they perform.

A distinguishing feature of the work group will be
the close collaboration between experimentalists and
theorists, particularly with regard to the analysis
of data and the planning of experiments. The work
group will have a limited number of research
lectures, supplemented by tutorials on relevant
computational, experimental, and mathematical
techniques.

This work group is a means to critically evaluate
techniques for the processing of multi-channel data,
of which imaging forms an important category. Such
techniques are of fundamental importance for basic
research and medical diagnostics. We will establish a
repository of these techniques, along with benchmarks,
to insure the rapidly dissemination of modern
analytical techniques throughout the neuroscience
community.

The work group will convene on a yearly basis.
For 1997, we propose to focus on topics that
fall under the rubric of multivariate time-series.

* Analysis of point processes, e.g., spike trains.
Measures of correlation and variability, and their
interpretation.
* Analysis of continuous processes, e.g., field
potential, optical imaging, fMRI, and MEG, and
the recording of behavioral output, e.g.,
vocalizations.
* Problems that involve both point and continuous
processes, e.g., the linear and nonlinear functional
relations between spike trains and sensory input
and motor output.

Participants: Twenty five participants, both
experimentalists and theorists. Experimentalists are
specifically encouraged to bring data records to the
work group; appropriate computational facilities will
be provided. The work group will further take
advantage of interested investigators and course
faculty concurrently present at the MBL. We encourage
graduate students and postdoctoral fellows as well
as senior researchers to apply.

Participant Fee: $200.

Support: National Institutes of Health -
NIMH, NIA, NIAAA, NICHD/NCRR, NIDCD, NIDA, and NINDS.

Organizers: David Kleinfeld (UCSD) and
	Partha P. Mitra (Caltech and Bell Laboratories).

Website: http://www-physics.ucsd.edu/research/neurodata

Application: Send a copy of your curriculum vita,
together with a cover letter that contains a brief
(ca. 200 word) paragraph on why you wish to attend
the work group and a justified	request for any
financial aid, to:

  Ms. Jean B. Ainge
  Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies
  700 Mountain Avenue 1D-427
  Murray Hill, NJ 07974
  908-582-4702 (fax) or <jba at bell-labs.com>

The MBL is an EEO AAI.

Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are
encouraged to include a brief letter of support from
their research advisor.

Financial assistance: Assistance for travel,
accommodations, and board is available based
on need.

  Applications must be received by 18 May 1998.
  Participants will be notified by 25 May

Links to Archives for Neurosciences can be found at:
http://www-physics.ucsd.edu/research/neurodata/NSarchive2.html