UAI-98 Call for Papers

Serafin Moral smc at decsai.ugr.es
Sun Oct 26 20:47:34 EST 1997

We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this message.
Please distribute to interested persons.

         C A L L     F O R       P A P E R S

                    ** U A I 98 **

         THE FOURTEENTH ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON

        UNCERTAINTY IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

                   July 24-26, 1998

        University of Wisconsin Business School

               Madison, Wisconsin, USA

          =======================================

Please visit the UAI-98 WWW page at http://www.uai98.cbmi.upmc.edu

                   CO-LOCATION ANNOUNCEMENT

The 1998 UAI Conference will be co-located with ICML-98 (International
Conference on Machine Learning) and COLT-98 (Computational Learning
Theory). Registrants to any of the three conferences will be allowed
to attend without additional costs the technical sessions of the other
conferences. Joint invited speakers, poster sessions and a panel session
are planned for the three conferences.

The day after the co-located conferences (Monday, July 27, 1998), full
day
workshops and/or tutorials will be offered by each of ICML, COLT, and
UAI.
UAI will offer a full day course in which an overview of the field of
uncertain reasoning will be presented by a faculty of its distinguished
researchers. The AAAI-98 conference technical program begins on Tuesday,
July 28th.

UAI-98 will meet at the University of Wisconsin Business School, in
close
proximity to the Convention Center, where AAAI-98 will be held.

                              * * *

                         CALL FOR PAPERS

Uncertainty management in artificial intelligence has now been
established
as a well founded discipline, with a degree of development that has
allowed
the construction of practical applications that are able to solve
difficult
AI problems. Since 1985, the Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial
Intelligence (UAI) has served as the central meeting on advances in
methods
for reasoning under uncertainty in computer-based systems. The
conference
is a primary international forum for exchanging results on the use of
principled uncertain-reasoning methods, and it has helped the scientific
community move along the path from theoretical foundations, to efficient
algorithms, to successful applications. The UAI Proceedings have become
basic reference for researches and practitioners who want to know about
both theoretical advances and the latest applied developments in the
field.

We are very pleased to announce that UAI-98 will be co-located with
ICML-98
(International Conference in Machine Learning) and COLT-98
(Computational
Learning Theory). This will be an outstanding opportunity for members of
the three communities to share ideas and techniques.

The scope of UAI covers a broad spectrum of approaches to automated
reasoning and decision making under uncertainty. Contributions to the
proceedings address topics that advance theoretical principles or
provide
insights through empirical study of applications. Interests include
quantitative and qualitative approaches, and traditional as well as
alternative paradigms of uncertain reasoning.

We encourage the submission of papers proposing new methodologies and
tools
for model construction, representation, learning, inference and
experimental validation. Innovative ways to increase the expressive
power
and the applicability spectrum of existing methods is encouraged as
well;
hybrid approaches may, for example, provide one way to achieve these
goals.
Papers are welcome that present new applications of uncertain reasoning
that stress the methodological aspects of their construction and use.
Highlighting difficulties in existing procedures and pointing at the
necessary advances in foundations and algorithms is considered an
important
role of presentations of applied research.

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

>> Foundations

* Theoretical foundations of uncertain belief and decision
* Uncertainty and models of causality
* Representation of uncertainty and preference
* Generalization of semantics of belief
* Conceptual relationships among alternative calculi
* Models of confidence in model structure and belief
* Knowledge revision and combination

>> Principles and Methods

* Planning under uncertainty
* Temporal reasoning
* Markov processes and decisions under uncertainty
* Qualitative methods and models
* Automated construction of decision models
* The representation and discovery of causal relationships
* Uncertainty and methods for learning and data mining
* Abstraction in representation and inference
* Computation and action under limited resources
* Control of computational processes under uncertainty
* Time-dependent utility and time-critical decisions
* Uncertainty and economic models of problem solving
* Integration of logical and probabilistic inference
* Statistical methods for automated uncertain reasoning
* Hybridization of methodologies and techniques
* Algorithms for uncertain reasoning
* Advances in diagnosis, troubleshooting, and test selection
* Formal languages to represent uncertain information
* Data structures for representation and inference
* Fusion of models
* Uncertain reasoning and information retrieval
* Enhancing the human-computer interface with uncertain reasoning
* Automated explanation of results of uncertain reasoning

>> Empirical Study and Applications

* Empirical validation of methods for planning, learning, and diagnosis
* Uncertain reasoning in embedded, situated systems (e.g., softbots)
* Nature and performance of architectures for real-time reasoning
* Experimental studies of inference strategies
* Experience with knowledge-acquisition methods
* Comparison of representation and inferential adequacy of different
calculi
* Methodologies for problem modeling

For papers focused on applications in specific domains, we suggest
that the following issues be addressed in the submission:

- Why was it necessary to represent uncertainty in your domain?
- What are the distinguishing properties of the domain and problem?
- What kind of uncertainties does your application address?
- Why did you decide to use your particular uncertainty formalism?
- Which practical procedure did you follow to build the application?
- What theoretical problems, if any, did you encounter?
- What practical problems did you encounter?
- Did users/clients of your system find the results useful?
- Did your system lead to improvements in decision making?
- What approaches were effective (ineffective) in your domain?
- What methods were used to validate the effectiveness of the system?

            =================================

             SUBMISSION AND REVIEW OF PAPERS

            =================================

Papers submitted for review should represent original, previously
unpublished work. Papers should not be under review for presentation in
any
other conference, however, an extended version of the paper may be under
review for publication in a scientific journal. Submitted papers will be
carefully evaluated on the basis of originality, significance, technical
soundness, and clarity of exposition. Papers may be accepted for
presentation in plenary or poster sessions. There will be a joint poster
session with the ICML-98 and COLT-98 Conferences. Some of the papers
selected for this poster session may also have a plenary presentation at
UAI. All accepted papers will be included in the Proceedings of the
Fourteenth Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence,
published
by Morgan Kaufmann Publishers. An outstanding student paper will be
selected for special distinction.

Submitted papers must be at most 20 pages of 12pt Latex article style or
equivalent (about 4500 words).

We strongly encourage the electronic submission of papers. To submit a
paper electronically, send an electronic version of the paper
(Postscript format) to the following address:

                           uai98 at cbmi.upmc.edu

The subject line of this message should be:
$.ps, where $ is an identifier created from the last name of the first
author, followed by the first initial of the author's first name.
Multiple
submissions by the same first author should be indicated by adding a
number
(e.g., pearlj2.ps) to the end of the identifier.

Additionally, the paper abstract and data should be sent by using the
electronic
form at the following address:

              http://www.uai98.cbmi.upmc.edu/data.html

Authors unable to submit papers electronically should send 5 copies of
the
complete paper to one of the Program Chairs at the addresses listed
below.

Authors unable to use the electronic form to submit the abstract should
provide
the following information (by sending a message to the e-mail address
above):

* Paper title (plain text)
* Author names, including student status (plain text)
* Surface mail address, e-mail address, and voice phone number
    for a contact author (plain text)
* A short abstract including keywords (plain text)
* Primary and secondary classification indices selected from conference
   topics listed above.
* Indicate whether the paper is appropriate for a joint session with
   ICML-98 and COLT-98
* Indicate the preferred type of presentation: poster or plenary

            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                   Important Dates

            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

>> All submissions must be received by: Monday, February 23, 1998

>> Notification of acceptance on or before: Friday, April 10, 1998

>> Camera-ready copy due: Friday, May 8, 1998

>> Conference dates: July 24, 25, 26, 1998

>> Full day course on Uncertain Reasoning: Monday, July 27, 1998

                    ==========================

Conference E-mail Address
=========================

Please send all inquiries (submissions and conference organization) to
the following
e-mail address:

                 uai98 at cbmi.upmc.edu

Program Co-chairs: