PhD-Thesis by Kaspar Althoefer - "Neuro-Fuzzy Motion Planning ...."

Althoefer, Kaspar kaspar.althoefer at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 17 13:11:36 EDT 1997

The following PhD thesis is now available:

         "Neuro-Fuzzy Motion Planning for Robotic Manipulators"

                     by Kaspar ALTHOEFER.

The thesis will not be available on a Web or ftp site, but I would be
pleased to send my thesis as a postscript file to everybody who wants a
copy. Please, contact me via e-mail, if you are interested. My e-mail
address is Kaspar.Althoefer at kcl.ac.uk.

Below you will find the abstract and the table of contents.

Best regards,

Kaspar Althoefer.

Abstract

On-going research efforts in robotics aim at providing mechanical
systems, such as robotic manipulators and mobile robots, with more
intelligence so that they can operate autonomously. Advancing in this
direction, this thesis proposes and investigates novel manipulator path
planning and navigation techniques which have their roots in the field
of neural networks and fuzzy logic.

Path planning in the configuration space makes necessary a
transformation of the workspace into a configuration space. A
radial-basis-function neural network is proposed to construct the
configuration space by repeatedly mapping individual workspace obstacle
points into so-called C-space patterns. The method is extended to
compute the transformation for planar manipulators with n links as well
as for manipulators with revolute and prismatic joints.

A neural-network-based implementation of a computer emulated resistive
grid is described and investigated. The grid, which is a collection of
nodes laterally connected by weights, carries out global path planning
in the manipulator’s configuration space. In response to a specific
obstacle constellation, the grid generates an activity distribution
whose gradient can be exploited to construct collision-free paths. A
novel update algorithm, the To&Fro algorithm, which rapidly spreads the
activity distribution over the nodes is proposed. Extensions to the
basic grid technique are presented.

A novel fuzzy-based system, the fuzzy navigator, is proposed to solve
the navigation and obstacle avoidance problem for robotic manipulators.
The presented system is divided into separate fuzzy units which
individually control each manipulator link. The competing functions of
goal following and obstacle avoidance are combined in each unit
providing an intelligent behaviour. An on-line reinforcement learning
method is introduced which adapts the performance of the fuzzy units
continuously to any changes in the environment.

All above methods have been tested in different environments on
simulated manipulators as well as on a physical manipulator. The results
proved these methods to be feasible for real-world applications.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Abstract                                     ii

Acknowledgments                              iii

Table of Contents                            iv

List of Figures                              vii

List of Tables                               ix

1 Introduction                                                 1
   1.1 Methodology                                             2
   1.2 Constructing the C-space, Global Path Planning,
    Local Navigation: An Overview                              4
    1.2.1 Manipulator Motion Planning                          4
    1.2.2 The Computation of the C-space and
    the Building of Maps                                       5
    1.2.3 Global Path Planning in C-space                      6
    1.2.4 Local Navigation                                     8
  1.3 Contributions made by this Thesis                       10

2 Workspace to C-space Transformation                         11
  2.1 Introduction                                            11
  2.2 The Configuration Space in Context                      13
  2.3 The Configuration Space of a Robotic Manipulator        15
  2.4 The Mapping of Obstacle Points
    into their C-space Counterpart                            16
    2.4.1 The Single Point Mapping                            16
    2.4.2 The C-space of a 2-Link Revolute Arm                18
    2.4.3 The C-space of a 2-Link Arm
    with Prismatic and Revolute Joints                        23
  2.5 The C-space of an n-Link Arm                            26
    2.5.1.1 Comparison of configuration space representations 32
    2.5.1.2 Reduction in Complexity                           33
 2.6 A Radial Basis Function Network
    for the Workspace to C-space Transformation               35
    2.6.1 The RBF-Network for the C-space Calculation         35
    2.6.2 The Training of the Network: Insertion of Nodes     37
  2.7 A Three-link Manipulator                                39
  2.8 Real-world Applications                                 41
    2.8.1 C-space Patterns for a Physical Manipulator         41
    2.8.2 Timing Considerations                               45
    2.8.3 A Real-World Planning System                        47
      2.8.3.1 Image Processing                                48
      2.8.3.2 Input to the Radial-Basis-Function Network      50
  2.9 Summary                                                 51

3 A Neuro-Resistive Grid for Path Planning                    53
  3.1 Problem Definition and Overview of the Algorithm        53
  3.2 Related Work                                            55
   3.2.1 Resistive Grids for Path Planning                    55
   3.2.2 The Hopfield Network                                 56
   3.2.3 Cellular Neural Network                              57
   3.2.4 Dynamic Programming                                  58
  3.3 Path Planning in the Configuration Space                60
  3.4 The Neuro-Resistive Grid                                61
    3.4.1 Implementation of the Neuro-Resistive Grid          61
    3.4.2 Functioning of the Resistive Grid                   63
    3.4.3 Harmonic Functions                                  66
    3.4.4 Boundary Conditions - Dirichlet vs. Neumann         68
    3.4.5 Convergence Criterion for the Neuro-resistive Grid  72
  3.5 Enhanced Activity Propagation                           74
    3.5.1 Methodology                                         74
    3.5.2 Higher Dimensions                                   77
    3.5.3 Global Extremum and Collision-free Path             78
    3.5.4 A Non-Topologically-Ordered Grid                    82
    3.5.5 Soft Safety Margin                                  83
  3.6 Experiments                                             84
    3.6.1 Real-World Experiments with the MA 2000 Manipulator 84
    3.6.2 A Planar Three-Link Manipulator                     94
    3.6.3 A Three-dimensional SCARA Manipulator              101
    3.6.4 A Mobile Robot in a 3D-Workspace                   101
  3.7 Comparative Studies                                    102
    3.7.1 Comparisons to Other Update Rules                  102
    3.7.2 Comparison to Other Update Sequences               105
    3.7.3 Comparison to the A*-Algorithm                     106
  3.8 Summary                                                108

4 Fuzzy-Based Navigation and Obstacle Avoidance
    for Robotic Manipulators                                 110
  4.1 Problem Definition and System Overview                 110
  4.2 Local Navigation in Context                            113
    4.2.1 Artificial Potential Fields                        113
    4.2.2 An Overview of Fuzzy-Based Navigation Techniques
        for Mobile Robots                                    115
    4.2.3 Unreachable Situations and Local Minima            116
  4.3 Fuzzy Navigation and Obstacle Avoidance
    for Robotic Manipulators                                 117
    4.3.1 Introduction to Fuzzy Control                      117
    4.3.2 Manipulator-Specific Implementation Aspects        121
    4.3.3 The Fuzzy Algorithm                                123
  4.4 Computer Simulations                                   128
    4.4.1 Two-Link Manipulator                               128
    4.4.2 Three-Link Manipulator                             132
    4.4.3 Moving Obstacles                                   134
    4.4.4 Safety Aspects                                     134
  4.5 Fuzzy Navigation for the MA 2000 Manipulator           135
   4.5.1 Simulated MA 2000 and Comparison
        to the Resistive Grid Approach                       135
   4.5.2 Real-World Results                                  138
  4.6 Reinforcement Learning                                 138
  4.7 Summary and Discussion                                 144

5 Conclusions and Future Work                                147
  5.1 Conclusions                                            147
    5.1.1 Workspace to C-space Transformation
        for Robotic Manipulators                             147
    5.1.2 A Neural Resistive Grid for Path Planning          147
    5.1.3 Fuzzy-based Navigation and Obstacle Avoidance
        for Robotic Manipulators                             149
  5.2 Future work                                            150
    5.2.1 Hybrid System                                      150
    5.2.2 Implementational Aspects                           151
    5.2.3 Sensors                                            152
    5.2.4 Transformation of Complex Obstacle Primitives      152

Appendix A-1                                                 153
Appendix A-2                                                 155
Appendix A-3                                                 160
Appendix B                                                   165

Bibliography                                                 169

--

|_/ I N G'S                    Dr Kaspar ALTHOEFER
| \ COLLEGE                  Ph.D., Dipl.-Ing., AMIEE
L O N D O N          Department  of  Mechanical  Engineering
Founded1829        King's College, Strand, London WC2R 2LS, UK

               TEL: +44 (0)171 873 2431, FAX: +44 (0)171 836 4781
                    http://www.eee.kcl.ac.uk/~kaspar