Model-Independent Mean Field Theory for Approximate Inference

Michael Haft michael.haft at mchp.siemens.de
Thu Nov 20 05:48:27 EST 1997

The following paper on approximate propagation of
information is available online:

     Model-Independent Mean Field Theory as a Local Method
     for Approximate Propagation of Information

	Michael Haft, Reimar Hofmann and Volker Tresp
             SIEMENS AG, Corporate Technology

                     Abstract

We present a systematic approach to mean field theory in a
general probabilistic setting without assuming a particular model
and avoiding physical notation. The mean field equations derived
here may serve as a {\em local} and thus very simple method for
approximate inference in graphical models. In general, there are
multiple solutions to the mean field equations. We show that improved
estimates can  be obtained by forming a weighted mixture of the
multiple mean field solutions. We derive simple approximate expressions
for the mixture weights, which can also be obtained by means of only
{\em local} computations. The benefits of taking into account multiple
solutions are demonstrated by using mean field theory for inference in
a small `noisy-or network'.

The paper is available online from:
  http://www7.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~hofmannr/mf_abstr.html
Comments are welcome. A modified version of this paper is submitted
for publication.

Michael Haft
ZT IK 4
Siemens AG, CR & D   Email: Michael.Haft at mchp.siemens.de
81730 Muenchen       Tel:   +49/89/636-47953
Germany              Fax:   +49/89/636-49767