Tech rep on medical image segmentation

DeLiang Wang dwang at cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jun 18 15:02:14 EDT 1997

  The following technical report is available on medical image
  segmentation. Comments and suggestions are welcome

                 Segmentation of Medical Images Using LEGION

                 Technical Report: OSU-CISRC-4/97-TR26, 1997

                Naeem Shareef, DeLiang L. Wang and Roni Yagel
                         The Ohio State University
                         Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA

                                  ABSTRACT

   Advances in computer and visualization technology allow clinicians to
   virtually interact with anatomical structures contained within sampled
   medical image datasets. A hindrance to the effective use of this technology
   is the problem of image segmentation. In this paper, we utilize a recently
   proposed oscillator network called LEGION (Locally Excitatory Globally
   Inhibitory Oscillator Network), whose ability to achieve fast synchrony with
   local excitation and desynchrony with global inhibition makes it an effective
   computational framework for grouping similar features
   and segregating dissimilar ones in an image. We describe an image
   segmentation algorithm derived from LEGION and introduce an adaptive scheme
   to  choose tolerances. We show results of the algorithm to 2D and 3D (volume)
   CT  and MRI medical image datasets, and compare our results with manual
   segmentation. LEGION's computational and architectural properties make it a
   promising approach for real-time medical image segmentation using multiple
   features.

  A Postscript version of the report is available via ftp at
  FTP-host    : ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu
  FTP-pathname: pub/tech-report/1997/TR26-DIR/

  OR

  an HTML version can be found at
  HTML version: http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~shareef/OSUTR26/journal-1.html