Book announcement "Automatic learning techniques in power systems"

WEHENKEL Louis lwh at montefiore.ulg.ac.be
Fri Dec 5 02:43:56 EST 1997

Dear colleagues,

This is to announce the availability of a new book on
"Automatic learning techniques in power systems".

In the coming weeks, I  will add some information  on my own  web-site
http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~lwh/.

Cordially,

Louis WEHENKEL
Research Associate
National Fund for Scientific Research
Department of Electrical Engineering

University of Liege                             Tel. + 32 4 366.26.84
Institut Montefiore - SART TILMAN B28,          Fax. + 32 4 366.29.84
B-4000 LIEGE - BELGIUM                          Email. lwh at montefiore.ulg.ac.be

!!! New telephone numbers from september 15th 1996 onwards

>> The web site for this book is http://www.wkap.nl/book.htm/0-7923-8068-1
>>

>>  Automatic Learning Techniques in Power Systems
>>
>>      by
>>      Louis A. Wehenkel
>>      University of Lige, Institut Montefiore, Belgium
>>
>>      THE KLUWER INTERNATIONAL SERIES IN ENGINEERING AND
>>      COMPUTER SCIENCE
>>      Volume 429
>>
>> Automatic learning is a complex,  multidisciplinary field of  research
>> and development,  involving   theoretical  and applied   methods  from
>> statistics, computer  science,   artificial intelligence,  biology and
>> psychology.  Its applications to  engineering  problems, such as those
>> encountered in  electrical power systems,  are therefore  challenging,
>> while extremely promising. More and  more data have become  available,
>> collected from the field by systematic archiving, or generated through
>> computer-based simulation. To handle this explosion of data, automatic
>> learning can be  used to provide  systematic approaches, without which
>> the increasing data amounts and computer power would be of little use.
>>
>> Automatic Learning  Techniques  in Power  Systems  is dedicated to the
>> practical  application of automatic  learning  to power systems. Power
>> systems to which  automatic learning can  be applied are  screened and
>> the  complementary aspects  of  automatic  learning,  with  respect to
>> analytical methods and numerical simulation, are investigated.
>>
>> This  book  presents  a representative  subset   of automatic learning
>> methods  -    basic  and more sophisticated    ones  -  available from
>> statistics   (both  classical   and  modern),    and from   artificial
>> intelligence (both  hard and soft computing).  The text also discusses
>> appropriate methodologies for combining these methods to make the best
>> use of available data in the context of real-life problems.
>>
>> Automatic Learning Techniques in  Power Systems is a useful  reference
>> source for professionals and researchers developing automatic learning
>> systems in the electrical power field.
>>
>> Contents
>>
>>  List of Figures.
>>  List of Tables.
>>  Preface.
>>     1. Introduction.
>>  Part I: Automatic Learning Methods.
>>     2. Automatic Learning is Searching a Model Space.
>>     3. Statistical Methods.
>>     4. Artificial Neural Networks.
>>     5. Machine Learning.
>>     6. Auxiliary Tools and Hybrid Techniques.
>>  Part II: Application of Automatic Learning to Security Assessment.
>>     7. Framework for Applying Automatic Learning to DSA.
>>     8. Overview of Security Problems.
>>     9. Security Information Data Bases.
>>     10. A Sample of Real-Life Applications.
>>     11. Added Value of Automatic Learning.
>>     12. Future Orientations.
>>  Part III: Automatic Learning Applications in Power Systems.
>>     13. Overview of Applications by Type.
>>  References.
>>  Glossary.

> [...]

                                 -------
For information on how to subscribe / change address / delete your
name from the Power Globe, see http://www.powerquality.com/powerglobe/