vision postdoc position at Columbia

Ning Qian qian at brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 1 17:07:33 EST 1997

         Postdoctoral Position in Visual Psychophysics
             Center for Neurobiology and Behavior
                     Columbia University
                         New York, NY

A postdoctoral fellowship position in Visual Psychophysics is
available immediately in my lab at Columbia University.  The
individual will participate in psychophysics projects that investigate
the mechanisms of motion detection, stereoscopic depth perception and
motion-stereo integration.  There will be close interactions between
these projects and the related computational modeling projects in the
same lab.  The details of our research interests and publications can
be found at the web site listed below.  The funding for the position
is available for two years with the possibility of renewal.
Applicants should have a strong background in visual psychophysics and
should be able to write programs (or adapt our current psychophysics
software package) for generating visual stimuli.  Please send a CV,
representative publications and two letters of recommendations to:

Dr. Ning Qian
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior
Columbia University
722 W. 168th St., A730
New York, NY 10032

qian at brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu (email)
212-960-2213 (phone)
212-960-2561 (fax)

I will attend the ARVO meeting in May.  The phone number of my hotel
is 954-525-3484.  Please email me if you would like to arrange a
meeting there.

*********************************************************************h
The details of our research interests and publications can be found at:

http://brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu

Selected Papers:

Binocular Disparity and the Perception of Depth [Review], Ning Qian,
Neuron, 1997, 18:359-368.

The Effect of Complex Motion Pattern on Speed Perception, Bard J Geesaman
and Ning Qian (submitted to Vision Research).

A Novel Speed Illusion Involving Expansion and Rotation Patterns,
Bard J Geesaman and Ning Qian, Vision Research, 1996, 36:3281-3292.

Transparent Motion Perception as Detection of Unbalanced Motion
Signals I: Psychophysics, Ning Qian, Richard A. Andersen and Edward H.
Adelson, J. Neurosci., 1994, 14:7357--7366.

A Physiological Model for Motion-stereo Integration and a Unified
Explanation of the Pulfrich-like Phenomena, Ning Qian and Richard
A. Andersen, Vision Research, 1997 (in press).

Physiological Computation of Binocular Disparity, Ning Qian and
Yudong Zhu, Vision Research, 1997 (in press).

Binocular Receptive Field Profiles, Disparity Tuning and
Characteristic Disparity, Yudong Zhu and Ning Qian, Neural
Computation, 1996, 8:1647-1677.

Computing Stereo Disparity and Motion with Known Binocular Cell
Properties, Ning Qian, Neural Computation, 1994, 6:390-404.