Job openings

dhw@almaden.ibm.com dhw at almaden.ibm.com
Fri Aug 23 19:54:39 EDT 1996

        *** Job Announcements. Please distribute. ***

The Web is currently dumb.

Join our team at IBM net.Mining; we are making the web intelligent.

We currently have immediate need to fill positions at our Almaden
Research Center facility in the south of Silicon Valley. net.Mining is
a sub-organization of IBM Data Mining Solutions, a rapidly expanding
group that also has openings (see recent postings). IBM is an equal
opportunity employer.

Scientific Programmers/

Responsibilities: Interact with the Machine Learning Researchers to
implement new web-based algorithms as code, verify the code, and test
the algorithms in real world environments. Must be able to work
independently.

Qualitifications: Bachelors or equivalent in computer science,
statistics, mathematics, physics, or an equivalent field. Higher
degree highly desirable. Extensive experience implementing numeric
code, especially in machine learning, statistics, neural nets, or a
similar field. Familiarity with college-level mathematics
(multi-variable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra,
etc.) 2 or more years experience with C/C++ in a research or
commercial environment. Knowledge of Internet technologies highly
desirable.

Machine Learning Researchers/

Responsibilities: Develop new algorithms applying machine learning and
associated technologies to the web. Develop new such
technologies. Work with the Scientific Programmers to implement and
investigate those algorithms and technologies in the real world.

Qualifications include: PhD or equivalent in computer science,
statistics, mathematics, physics, or an equivalent field, with an
emphasis on machine learning, statistics, neural nets, or a
similar field. Strong background in mathematics. Experience with
C/C++ highly desirable.  Knowledge of information retrieval and/or
indexing systems, text mining, and/or knowledge of Internet
technologies, all highly desirable.