Textbook Series on Optimization and Neural Computation

athena scientific athenasc at world.std.com
Sat Jun 3 18:57:39 EDT 1995

Athena Scientific is pleased to announce a series of M.I.T. graduate
course textbooks that are distinguished by scientific rigor, educational
value, and production quality.

1) Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control (2 Vols.), by Dimitri P.
Bertsekas (June 1995).
2) Nonlinear Programming, by Dimitri P. Bertsekas (due Fall 1995).
3) Linear Programming, by Dimitris Bertsimas and John N. Tsitsiklis
(due Spring 1996).
4) Neuro-Dynamic Programming, by Dimitri P. Bertsekas and John N.
Tsitsiklis (Spring 1996).

The first three are textbooks currently used in first year graduate
courses at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer
Science and the Operations Research Center of M.I.T. The last book is
used in a graduate course on neural computation. The books are well
suited for instruction and have been refined in the classroom over many
years.

For further information contact Athena Scientific, P.O. Box 391,
Belmont, MA 02178-9998, U.S.A., Tel: (617) 489-3097, FAX: (617)
489-3097, email: athenasc at world.std.com, or the authors:
bertsekas at lids.mit.edu, dbertsim at math.mit.edu, jnt at mit.edu

To order your copy of Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control, see
the ordering information at the end of this announcement.

DYNAMIC PROGRAMMING AND OPTIMAL CONTROL, by Dimitri P. Bertsekas

For FTP access of detailed table of contents, preface, and the 1st
chapter: FTP to LIDS.MIT.EDU with username ANONYMOUS, enter password
as directed, and type cd /pub/bertsekas/DP_BOOK

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

This two-volume textbook is a greatly expanded and pedagogically
improved version of the author's "Dynamic Programming: Deterministic
and Stochastic Models," (Prentice-Hall, 1987). It treats
simultaneously stochastic optimal control problems popular in modern
control theory and Markovian decision problems popular in operations
research. New features include:

** neurodynamic programming/reinforcement learning techniques, a recent
breakthrough in the practical application of dynamic programming to
complex problems

** deterministic discrete- and continuous-time optimal control problems,
including the Pontryagin Minimum Principle

** an extensive treatment of deterministic and stochastic shortest path
problems

The first volume is oriented towards modeling, conceptualization, and
finite-horizon problems, but also includes a substantive introduction
to infinite horizon problems that is suitable for classroom use.

The second volume is oriented towards mathematical analysis and
computation, and treats infinite horizon problems extensively. The text
contains many illustrations, worked-out examples, and exercises.

The author is Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer
Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and has been
teaching the material of this book in introductory graduate courses
for over twenty years.

CONTENTS OF VOLUME I (400 pages)

1. The Dynamic Programming Algorithm

2. Deterministic Systems and the Shortest Path Problem

3. Deterministic Continuous-Time Optimal Control

4. Problems with Perfect State Information

5. Problems with Imperfect State Information

6. Suboptimal and Adaptive Control

7. Introduction to Infinite Horizon Problems

Appendixes: Math. Review, Probability Review, Least Squares Estimation
and the Kalman Filter

CONTENTS OF VOLUME II (304 pages, available August 1995)

1. Infinite Horizon - Discounted  Problems

2. Stochastic Shortest Path Problems

3. Undiscounted Problems

4. Average Cost per Stage Problems

5. Continuous-Time Problems

Free 30-Day Examination Copy to Prospective Instructors
Free Deskcopy and Solutions Manual Upon Classroom Adoption

ORDER W/ VISA/MASTERCARD BY FAX OR PHONE: (617) 489-3097

ORDER BY MAIL: Athena Scientific, P.O.Box 391, Belmont, MA
02178-9998, U.S.A. email: athenasc at world.std.com

  o  Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control, Vol. I: $64.00
     ISBN: 1-886529-12-4
  o  Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control, Vol. II: $55.50
     ISBN: 1-886529-13-2
  o  Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control, Vols. I and II: $99.50
     ISBN: 1-886529-11-6

     o  MY CHECK OR MONEY ORDER IS ENCLOSED:

       I am enclosing my check or money order, payable to Athena
       Scientific. I have also included $3.00 for shipping. I
       understand that books can be returned for a full refund if I
       am not completely satisfied.

     o  CHARGE MY:

        o VISA   o MASTERCARD