No free lunch for Cross Validation!

zhuh zhuh at helios.aston.ac.uk
Thu Dec 14 13:12:43 EST 1995

Dear Colleagues,

A little while ago someone claimed that
    Cross validation will benefit from the presence of any structure,
    and if there is no structure it does no harm;
yet
    NFL explicitly states that a structure can be equally good or
    bad for any given method, depending on how they match each other;
yet
    It was further claimed that they do not conflict with each other.

I was quite curious and did the following five-minute experiment to
find out which is correct.

Suppose we have a Gaussian variable x, with mean mu and unit variance.
We have the following three estimators for estimating mu from a
sample of size n.