Face Detection Test Set Available

Shumeet Baluja baluja at GS93.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
Tue Aug 29 00:08:39 EDT 1995

several requests for our test images.  In order to facilitate accurate
comparisons, we have made our images available on-line.

*** We recommend that you use these images for testing purposes only. Training
systems based on these images decreases the value of this database as an
independent test set. ***

Data Set Specifics:

42 Compuserve GIF format gray-scale images.

169 Labeled Face Locations.  Our work concentrated on finding frontal views of
faces in scenes, so the list of faces includes mainly those faces looking
towards the camera; extreme side views are ignored.  These faces vary in size
from ~20 to several hundred pixels.

Image lighting/noise/graininess/contrast also varies; images were taken from CCD
cameras, scanned photographs, scanned magazine & newspaper pictures, and
handrawn images.

To get the images:

  http://www.ius.cs.cmu.edu/IUS/dylan_usr0/har/faces/test/index.html

A demo of our system, and copies of our paper, can be found in:

  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~baluja
  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~har

If you use this databse, please let us know.  Send any questions/comments to:

shumeet baluja (baluja at cs.cmu.edu)
henry rowley (har at cs.cmu.edu)