Job Announcement

Eric B. Baum eric at research.nj.nec.com
Thu Aug 10 14:41:24 EDT 1995

I recently posted a job ad. Below is a revised version of this ad.
Note especially the new entry entitled "Term" as well as some more
details of experiments.

Research Programmer Wanted.

Prerequisites: Experience in getting large programs to work.

               Some mathematical sophistication. E.g. at least equivalent of
               a good undergraduate degree in math, physics, theoretical
               computer science or related field.

Salary: Depends on experience.

Job: Implementing various novel algorithms.
     The previous holder of this position (Charles Garrett) implemented our
     new Bayesian approach to games, with striking success. We are now
     engaged in an effort to produce a world championship chess program based
     on these methods and several new ideas regarding learning. This is an
     experimental learning project as well as a game-playing project.
     The chess program is being written in Modula 3. Experience in Modula 3
     is useful but not essential so long as you are willing to learn it.

     Other projects may include TD learning, GA's, DNA computing, etc. To
     access papers on our approach to games, and get some idea of general
     nature of other projects, (e.g. a paper on GA's Garrett worked on)
     see my home page
     http://www.neci.nj.nec.com:80/homepages/eric/eric.html

     A paper on a classifier-like learning system with Garrett will appear
     there RSN (but don't wait to apply). This system trains a complex
     `mind' formed of multiple agents interacting in an economic model
     and is currently being tested on Blocks World planning problems.
     This project will continue and running experiments on it will be part
     of the job.

     The successful applicant will (a)have experience getting *large*
     programs to *work*, (b) be able to understand the papers on my home
     page  and convert them to computer experiments.

     These projects are at the leading edge of basic research in
     algorithms/cognition/learning, so expect the work to be both
     interesting and challenging.

Term: The initial job offer will be for a short provisional period. If
      performance is satisfactory a longer term will be offered. There
      is a strong possibility of conversion to permanent status if performance
      is highly satisfactory.

To apply please send cv, cover letter and list of references to:
      eric at research.nj.nec.com
      .ps or plain text please!
NOTE- EMAIL ONLY. Hardcopy, e.g. US mail or Fedex etc, will not be opened.

Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V

Eric Baum
NEC Research Institute, 4 Independence Way, Princeton NJ 08540
PHONE:(609) 951-2712, FAX:(609) 951-2482, Inet:eric at research.nj.nec.com