John Szentagothai

Michael A. Arbib arbib at pollux.usc.edu
Mon Sep 12 12:37:06 EDT 1994

John Szentagothai, the neuroanatomist, died at his home in
Budapest on the morning of Thursday, September 8th.  He had
arisen early to work on a book, taken breakfast, and then sat down
before going in to the Institute - and died immediately.  He was
almost 82.

Professor Szentagothai has played a leading role in neuroanatomy
for many decades, having already established a strong reputation
prior to World War II.  In the years since then, he has been active
in neuroscience in general, and in Hungarian science in particular
where he created a strong, and international, school of Hungarian
neuroanatomists, as well as serving as a vigorous president of the
Hungarian Academy of Sciences.  His concern for his country
continued with a recent term as member of the Hungarian
parliament.

Of his many contributions to neuroscience, perhaps two are best
known to modelers - his 1969 book on "The Cerebellum as a
Neuronal Machine" (with Eccles and Ito) inspired Marr and Albus
and many other cerebellar modelers; his 1974/5 book on
"Conceptual Models of Neural Organization", and related
articles, did much to extend our view of the modular and columnar
organization of the brain.

His enthusiasm for exposition and his quest to understand the
brain continued undiminished until the day he died.  I am grateful
that his voice was heard for so long, but saddened indeed that I
shall not hear it again.

Michael Arbib