Research Position in Financial Modeling

Laura Barela laura at predict.com
Tue Oct 18 12:48:32 EDT 1994

		  PREDICTION COMPANY

		 RESEARCH POSITION IN
	NONLINEAR MODELING OF FINANCIAL MARKETS

		    October, 1994

Prediction Company is a small firm based in Santa Fe, NM, utilizing
nonlinear forecasting technologies for prediction and computerized trading
of financial instruments. The current research group consists of Doyne
Farmer, Norman Packard, and William Finnoff, who have worked for over
fifteen years in complex systems, including chaos and nonlinear prediction.
We have the backing of a major European bank, and do propietary trading
through them.  Most employees own stock or stock options.

We are seeking someone to join the research group.  The basic task is to
build models to predict and trade financial markets based on historical
data.  Responsibilities include application of existing technology,
research and development of new technology, and participation in the design
of an advanced software platform for modeling, trading, and risk control,
using new methods that are well beyond the existing state of the art.

The successful applicant for this job will have a Ph.D. in statistics,
computer science, physics, mathematics, or a related field.  Experience
using neural nets, radial basis function, local approximation methods,
decision trees, hidden markov models, projection-pursuit, generalized
additive models, genetic algorithms, or other approximation and modeling
methods, and familiarity with statistics and numerical analysis, are highly
valuable.  Software experience is desirable, particularly C++, S+ or
related languages.  Familiarity with finance, including technical trading
analysis, is also desirable.  Experience with real data is also highly
desirable -- the nastier the better.  The applicant should be willing to
work in close collaboration with other researchers and software developers,
and should be willing to take on what is unquestionably the most
challenging but lucrative forecasting problem in existence.

Prediction Company offers a relaxed and informal work environment.  We are
located in a converted studio on the top floor of a building in the
Guadalupe commercial district.  Our offices include a full kitchen, shower
and roof deck.  We are within easy walking distance of many cafes,
restaurants and the historical central plaza of Santa Fe.

Santa Fe:

Santa Fe is an almost 400 year old city (settled in 1605, one of the oldest
in the country) of ~60,000 people with a wealth of cultural and
recreational opportunities.  Known as a center for the visual arts, Santa
Fe is host to many festivals and exhibitions.  Located at 7000 feet
elevation in the foothills of the Sangre De Cristo mountains in northern
New Mexico, Santa Fe has an abundance of outdoor diversions.  Biking,
hiking, camping, rock climbing, fossil hunting and skiing (within 45
minutes at Ski Santa Fe and 90 minutes at Taos Ski Basin) are all possible
within a short drive.

US or Canadian Citizenship required, or US Permanent Residency.  We are
unable to assist persons requiring H-1 or F-1 Visas.

Applicants should US mail resumes to:

Prediction Company
320 Aztec Street, Suite B
Santa Fe, NM 87501