Article available by ftp

S.B. Holden sbh at eng.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 15:41:45 EDT 1994

The following technical report is available by anonymous ftp from the
archive of the Speech, Vision and Robotics Group at the Cambridge
University Engineering Department. It is accepted for publication
in "Neural Computation".

      On the Practical Applicability of VC Dimension Bounds

              Sean B. Holden and Mahesan Niranjan

             Technical Report CUED/F-INFENG/TR.155

                        October 12, 1994

	    Cambridge University Engineering Department
		        Trumpington Street
		        Cambridge CB2 1PZ
			     England

                             Abstract

This article addresses the question of whether some recent
Vapnik-Chervonenkis (VC) dimension based bounds on sample complexity
can be regarded as a practical design tool. Specifically, we are
interested in bounds on the sample complexity for the problem of
training a pattern classifier such that we can expect it to perform
valid generalization. Early results using the VC dimension, while
being extremely powerful, suffered from the fact that their sample
complexity predictions were rather impractical. More recent results
have begun to improve the situation by attempting to take specific
account of the precise algorithm used to train the classifier. We
perform a series of experiments based on a task involving the
classification of sets of vowel formant frequencies. The results
of these experiments indicate that the more recent theories provide
sample complexity predictions that are significantly more applicable
in practice than those provided by earlier theories; however, we
also find that the recent theories still have significant shortcomings.

************************ How to obtain a copy ************************

a) Via FTP:

unix> ftp svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk
Name: anonymous
Password: (type your email address)
ftp> cd reports
ftp> binary
ftp> get holden_tr155.ps.Z
ftp> quit
unix> uncompress holden_tr155.ps.Z
unix> lpr holden_tr155.ps (or however you print PostScript)

The report is 22 pages in length.

b) Via postal mail:

Request a hardcopy from

Dr. Sean B. Holden,
Cambridge University Engineering Department,
Trumpington Street,
Cambridge CB2 1PZ,
England.

or email me: sbh at eng.cam.ac.uk