Papers available by anonymous ftp

David Redish David_Redish at GS17.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
Thu May 19 16:21:45 EDT 1994

A selection of papers by, Redish, Wan, and Touretzky are now available by
anonymous FTP.  The three most recent titles are:

 1.  The Reaching Task:  Evidence for Vector Arithmetic in the Motor System?
 2.  Computing Goal Locations from Place Codes
 3.  Neural Representation of Space in Rats and Robots

Other titles are also available.  All of the papers are compressed using
GZIP.  Access information:

 host: b.gp.cs.cmu.edu  (128.2.242.8)
 directory: /afs/cs/user/dredish/pub

They are also available via Mosaic from

 http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/afs/cs/user/dredish/Web/bibliography.url

	file: biocyb.ps.gz

	The Reaching Task:
	Evidence for Vector Arithmetic in the Motor System?

	A. David Redish        and         David S. Touretzky

	To appear in Biological Cybernetics

During a reaching task, the population vector is an encoding of direction
based on cells with cosine response functions.  Scaling the
response by a magnitude factor produces a vector encoding, enabling
vector arithmetic to be performed by summation of firing rates.  We
show that the response properties of selected populations of cells in
MI and area 5 can be explained in terms of arithmetic relationships
among load, goal, and motor command vectors.  Our computer simulations
show good agreement with single cell recording data.

	file: cogsci94.ps.gz

	Computing Goal Locations from Place Codes

	Hank S. Wan,  David S. Touretzky,  and  A. David Redish

	To appear in: Proceedings of the 16th annual conference of the
	Cognitive Science society. Lawrence Earlbaum Associates.

A model based on coupled mechanisms for place recognition, path
integration, and maintenance of head direction in rodents replicates a
variety of neurophysiological and behavioral data.  Here we consider a
task described in \cite{collett86} in which gerbils were trained to
find food equidistant from three identical landmarks arranged in an
equilateral triangle.  In probe trials with various manipulations of
the landmark array, the model produces behaviors similar to those of
the animals.  We discuss computer simulations and an implementation of
portions of the model on a mobile robot.

	file: wcci94.ps.gz

	Neural Representation of Space in Rats and Robots

	David S. Touretzky, Hank S. Wan, and A. David Redish

	To appear in: J.M. Zurada and R. Marks, eds., Computational
        Intelligence:  Imitating Life.  IEEE Press, 1994.

We describe a computer model that reproduces many observed features of
rat navigation behavior, including response properties of place cells
and head direction cells.  We discuss issues that arise when
implementing models of this sort on a mobile robot.