Final announcement for WCNN'94, with news

Judith E. Dayhoff dayhoff at src.umd.edu
Mon May 9 17:14:47 EDT 1994

WW           WW    CCCCCCCC   NN     NN   NN     NN  oo    999999  44   44
WW           WW   CC     CC   NNN    NN   NNN    NN  oo   99   99  44   44
 WW    W    WW    CC          NNNN   NN   NNNN   NN       99   99  44   44
  WW  WWW  WW     CC          NN NN  NN   NN NN  NN       9999999  4444444
   WWW   WWW      CC          NN  NN NN   NN  NN NN            99       44
    W     W        CCCCCCC    NN   NNNN   NN   NNNN            99       44
                         **************************
                         *UPDATED REGISTRATION INFORMATION
			 *CALL FOR NOVEL RESULTS PAPERS
                         **************************
                    WORLD CONGRESS ON NEURAL NETWORKS,
                    SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, JUNE 5-9, 1994
                                 ***
                Industrial Exposition -- Giant-Screen Video
                  22 INNS University HALF-DAY Short Courses
             Six Plenary Talks   ***    Five Special Sessions
             Twenty Sessions of Invited and Contributed Talks
                         At least 9 SIG sessions
                                 ***
Sponsored and Organized by the International Neural Network Society (INNS)
in cooperation with all other interested technical & professional societies.
                                 ***
Table of Contents of This Announcement:
1. NEWS! NOVEL-RESULTS SUBMISSION to June 1; POSTDOC SPECIAL
2. INDUSTRIAL EXPOSITION SCHEDULE CHANGES AND  NEW LECTURES
3. PLENARY TALKS
4. SPECIAL SESSIONS
5. INVITED/CONTRIBUTED SESSIONS
6. SHORT COURSES
7. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS
8. NOTE
9. REGISTRATION
10.HOTEL RESERVATIONS
11.STUDENT VOLUNTEERS!
1. NEWS!
   	WCNN'94 has accepted over 600 papers that are published in the
  Proceedings.  An interdisciplinary and scientific approach to neural
  network is maintained with a balanced program in all application areas
  as well. Furthermore, WCNN'94 has two days (Sunday & Monday June 5,6)
  filled with 22 half-day short courses (never given before) by all INNS
  Governors who have participated this year.  Judging by these, WCNN'94
  will be indeed a very exciting conference.
    To ease the on-site registration congestion, the official deadline
  for WCNN'94 pre-registration has been postponed to
                       May 16, 1994.
  PostDocs may obtain the Student Rate by including a letter from your
  Supervisor with the  Registration Form (or bring it to the Congress
  for a refund).
  FAX the Form (item 9) or email your questions to:

   Talley Associates  (Att: WCNN'94 Melissa Bishop)
   Address: 875 Kings Highway, Suite 200
   Woodbury, NJ 08096; Voice 609-845-1720; FAX 609-853-0411,
   e-mail: 74577.504 at compuserve.com

   SUBMIT YOUR NOVEL RESULTS UNTIL JUNE 1 FOR ON-SITE PUBLICATION
   In order to stimulate rapid growth in neural network research, we
   encourage the presentation of your newest results in the Congress.
   The deadline for Proceedings has passed, but in answer to many
   requests here is good news:

You may submit one original and three copies in the standard format to
our Talley conference management (to be reviewed by the three members of
Organization Committee) for rapid separate publication at the Congress.
                  The deadline is June 1, 1994.
Notification will be made by fax, phone, or e-mail a few days after
receipt of your paper. If accepted, your registration will be
handled specially to enjoy the saving of pre-registration. If there are
a sufficient number of these Novel papers accepted, there will be a special
session created called "Novel Results" during the Congress. Otherwise, a
poster presentation will be guaranteed.

  Moreover, in order to promote the WCNN'94 education program, you can
give a short course to one of your friends free of charge, if you pay for
one tuition. If you sign up for two courses, you will get one extra
free, and this bonus is likewise extended to your chosen friend as well.
  	Finally, we mentioned that we have streamlined WCNN'94 meeting
management by giving Talley direct control over the management of the
Conference, without going through the Executive Office.  Many of you know
the Talley management team from previous Congresses. You may use their
FAX (609-853-0411) for registration; use the form at the end of this message.

   Signed: Paul Werbos, Bernard Widrow, Harold Szu

P.S. Should you have any specific recommendation about ways to make WCNN'94
more successful, please contact any Governors that you know, or
Dr. Harold Szu at (301) 390-3097; FAX (301) 390-3923; e-mail:
hszu%ulysses at relay.nswc.navy.mil.
                              ***
To improve the structure of the Congress and achieve a more compact
schedule for attendees, several changes have been made since the
Preliminary Program:
A. Short Courses Start Sunday Morning June 5.
   All Saturday Short Courses have been moved to Monday June 6, with the
   exception that Course [I] (J. Dayhoff) will be given Sunday 8AM - 12PM.
   To make room in the schedule for that change, Course [H] (W. Freeman)
   moves from Sunday to Monday 8AM - 12PM.  On Monday the Short Courses are
   concurrent with the Exposition.  [To Lecturers: Talley will reproduce
   Course Notes received by no later than May 20.]
B. The SPECIAL OFFER has been made more generous, to encourage students.
   For each of your Short Course registrations you can give a colleague
   in the same or lower-priced Registration  Category a FREE Short Course!
   Enter his or her name on the Registration Form below ``TOTAL.''
   The recipient of the gift should indicate ``Gift from [your name]'' at
   the time of registration. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY PRE-REGISTERED,  arrange
   the gift now by FAX to 609-853-0411.
2. INDUSTRIAL EXPOSITION SCHEDULE CHANGES AND  NEW LECTURES
Monday  June  6: Chair: Prof. Takeshi Yamakawa, Kyushu Inst. of Tech., Japan;
Soo-Young Lee of KAIST, Korean Liason; Pierre Martineau of M.&A., European
Liason; R. Hecht-Nielsen, HNC, Inc.; D. Hammerstrom, Adaptive Solutions, Inc.;
Robert Pap, AAC; C. Kimasauskas, NeuralWare, Inc.; J. Sutherland, America, Ltd.
8 - 11 AM:   In Video: Hardware-Software Video-demo talks, and Posters;
10 - 11 AM:  Student Contest. The Contest is free-form, permitting
             many types of imaginative entry; Certificates and T-shirts
             will be awarded; no cash Grand Prize.
11 - Noon: Panel on Government Funding

 + Two New Lectures - in the Exposition Area:
12 - 1PM: Teuvo Kohonen: ``Exotic Applications of the Self-Organizing Map''
 5 - 6PM:  Walter Freeman: ``Noncomputational Neural Networks'
3. PLENARY TALKS:
   Lotfi Zadeh, UC Berkeley "Fuzzy Logic, Neural Networks, and Soft Computing"
   Per Bak, Brookhaven Nat. Lab. "Introduction to Self-Organized Criticality"
   Bernard Widrow, Stanford University "Adaptive Inverse Control"
   Melanie Mitchell, Santa Fe Institute "Genetic Algorithm Applications"
   Paul Werbos, NSF "Brain-Like Intelligence in Artificial Models:
                     How Do We Really Get There?"
   John G. Taylor, King's College London "Capturing What It Is Like To Be:
                     Modelling the Mind by Neural Networks"
4. SPECIAL SESSIONS
 "Biomedical Applications of Neural Networks," (Tuesday) David Brown,
 FDA; John Weinstein, NIH.
 "Commercial and Industrial Applications of Neural Networks," (Tuesday)
 B. Widrow, D. Hammerstrom, Ken Otwell, Ken Marko, Tariq Samad.
 "Financial and Economic Applications of Neural Networks,"
 (Wednesday) Guido Deboeck, World Bank.
 "Neural Networks in Chemical Engineering," (Thursday) Am. Inst. of
 Chem. Eng. Thom McAvoy.
 "Mind, Brain and Consciousness" (Thursday) by J. Taylor, "TBD", W.
 Freeman, "Some category confusions in using neural networks to model
 consciousness", and presentations by S. Grossberg, G. Roth, B.
 Libet, P. Werbos, C. Koch, D. Levine, etc.
5. 20 INVITED/CONTRIBUTED SESSIONS  June 7 - 9 Co-Chair by 20 INNS Governors
& 20 Special Interest Group Chairpersons.
    Also at least 9 Special Interest Group (SIG) Sessions are
    scheduled for Wednesday, June 8 from 8 -9:30 pm.
    e.g.Neuroscience: D. Alkon, NIH; ATR/Biosensors: H. Hawkins, ONR,
    B. Telfer: Mental & Dysfunction:  D. Levine;Power Eng.: D. Sobajic,
    EPRI, and others TBD.
6. SHORT COURSES
8am - 12pm Sunday, June 5
    [M] Gail Carpenter, Boston University:
        Adaptive Resonance Theory
    [L] Bernard Widrow, Stanford University:
        Adaptive Filters, Adaptive Controls, Adaptive Neural Networks
        and Applications
    [I] Judith Dayhoff, University of Maryland:
        Neurodynamics of Temporal Processing
    [G] Shun-Ichi Amari, University of Tokyo:
        Learning Curves, Generalization Errors and Model Selection
1pm - 5pm Sunday, June 5
    [U] Lotfi Zadeh, University of California, Berkeley:
        Fuzzy Logic and Calculi of Fuzzy Rules and Fuzzy Graphs
    [K] Paul Werbos, NSF:
        From Backpropagation to Real-Time Control
    [O] Stephen Grossberg, Boston University:
        Autonomous Neurodynamics: From Perception to Action
    [E] John Taylor, King's College, London:
        Stochastic Neural Computing: From Living Neurons to Hardware
6pm - 10 pm Sunday, June 5
    [V] Nicolai G. Rambidi, Int'l. Research Inst. for Management Sciences:
        Image Processing and Pattern Recognition
        Based on Molecular Neural Networks
    [C] Christof Koch, California Institute of Technology:
        Vision Chips: Implementing Vision Algorithms with Analog VLSI Circuits
8am - 12pm Monday, June 6
    [T] Melanie Mitchell, Santa Fe Institute:
        Genetic Algorithms, Theory and Applications
    [R] David Casasent, Carnegie Mellon University:
        Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks
    [H] Walter Freeman, University of California, Berkeley:
        Review of Neurobiology: From Single Neurons to Chaotic Dynamics of
        the Cerebral Cortex
    [P] Lee Giles, NEC Research Institute:
        Dynamically-driven Recurrent Networks: Models, Training Algorithms
        and Applications
1pm - 5pm Monday, June 6
    [S] Per Bak, Brookhaven National Laboratory:
        Introduction to Self-Organized Criticality
    [D] Kunihiko Fukushima, Osaka University:
        Visual Pattern Recognition with Neural Networks
    [B] James A. Anderson, Brown University:
        Neural Networks Computation as Viewed by Cognitive Science
        and Neuroscience
    [Q] Alianna Maren, Accurate Automation Corporation:
        Introduction to Neural Network Applications
6pm - 10 pm Monday, June 6
    [N] Takeshi Yamakawa, Kyushu Institute of Technology:
        What are the Differences and Similarities among Fuzzy, Neural, and
        Chaotic Systems?
    [A] Teuvo Kohonen, Helsinki University of Technology:
        Advances in the Theory and Applications of Self-Organizing Maps
    [J] Richard A. Andersen, Massachusetts Institute of Technology:
        Neurobiologically Plausible Network Models
    [F] Harold Szu, Naval Surface Warfare Center:
        Spatiotemporal Information Processing by Means of McCullouch-Pitts
        and Chaotic Neurons
7. TRAVEL RESERVATIONS:
   Executive Travel Associates (ETA) has been selected the official travel
company for the World Congress on Neural Networks. ETA offers the lowest
available fares on any airline at time of booking when you contact them at US
phone number 202-828-3501 or toll free (in the US) at 800-562-0189 and identify
yourself as a participant in the Congress. Flights booked on American Airlines,
Delta Airline, the official airline for this meeting, will result in an additional discount.
   Please provide the booking agent you use with the AA code: Star #S0464FS

8. ** NOTE **
Neither WCNN'94 nor the Hotel can accept e-mail registration or reservations.
 The Hotel will accept phone and FAX reservations while rooms remain available.
For WCNN'94 Registration, use surface/air mail or FAX.

9___   ____  ____    _   __  _____  ___     _   _____  _   ___    _    _
 |  |  |     |   \   |  /      |    |  |   / \    |    |  /   \   |\   |
 |__\  ---   |       |  \_     |    |__\  /___\   |    |  |    |  | \  |
 |   \ |     \   __  |    \    |    |   \ |   |   |    |  |    |  |  \ |
 |   | |___   \___|  |  __/    |    |   | |   |   |    |   \__/   L   \|

WCNN'94 at Town & Country Hotel, San Diego, California June 5 - 9, 1994

                                              Phone:_______________
Name:_______________________________________  FAX:__________________

Address:____________________________________________________________

If your name badge is to read differently, indicate the changes here:

REGISTRATION FEE (includes all sessions, plenaries, proceedings, reception,
AND Industrial Exposition. Separate registration for Short Courses, below.)
                  Before May 16, 1994      On-Site            FEE ENCLOSED

_ INNS Member      Member Number__________
                      US$280               US$395            $_________

_ Non Members:        US$380               US$495            $_________

_ Full Time Students: US$110               US$135            $_________
  AND PostDocs (Include a letter from PostDoc Supervisor)

_ Spouse/Guest:       US$45                US$55             $_________
     Name:________________
  Or  Neural Network Industrial Exposition -Only-
_                     US$55                US$55             $_________
INNS UNIVERSITY SHORT COURSE REGISTRATION
(must be received by May 16, 1994)  Circle paid selections:

 A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V

 Circle free selection (Pay for 2 short courses, get the third FREE)

  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V

SHORT COURSE FEE

_ INNS Members:  US$275                                      $_________

_ Non Members:   US$325                                      $_________

_ Full Time Students US$150                                  $_________

                             Congress + Short Course TOTAL:  $_________
    For each paid course, nominate an accompanying person,
    registering in the same or lower
    category, for a free course: Mr./Ms.___________________
    That person must also register by May 16, and indicate "Gift from
    [your name]" on the registration form.

METHODS OF PAYMENT
_ $ CHECK.  All check payments made outside of the USA must
           be made on a USA bank in US dollars, payable to WCNN'94
_ $ CREDIT CARDS. Only VISA and MasterCard accepted. Registrations
  sent by FAX or surface/air mail must include an authorized signature.
     ( ) Visa        ( ) M/C
 Name on Credit Card ______________________________________

 Credit Card Number _______________________________________

 Exp. Date ________________________________________________

 Authorized Signature:
                     _____________________________________
FAX: 609-853-0411 or E-mail: 74577.504 at compuserve.com
then Mail to INNS/WCNN'94 c/o Talley Associates, 875 Kings Highway, Suite 200
			 Woodbury, NJ 08096
10. HOTEL RESERVATIONS

 REGISTER AT TOWN & COUNTRY HOTEL, SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA (WCNN'94 Site)

Mail to Reservations, Town and Country Hotel,
500 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA 92108, USA; or FAX to 619-291-3584
Telephone: (800)772-8527 or (619)291-7131
INNS - WCNN'94
International Neural Network Society, World Congress on Neural Networks '94

_ Single: US$70 - US$95  plus applicable taxes

_ Double: US$80 - US$105 plus applicable taxes

Check in time: 3:00 pm. Check out time: 12:00 noon. Room reservations
will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis until May 6, 1994.
Reservations received after this date will be accepted on a space-available
basis and cannot be guaranteed. Reservations after May 6 will also be
subject to the rates prevailing at the time of the reservation. A
confirmation of your reservation will be sent to you by the hotel.

A first night's room deposit is required to confirm a reservation.

PRINT OR TYPE ALL INFORMATION.    Single________  Double_______

Arrival Date and approximate time:________________________________

Departure Date and approximate time:______________________________

Names of all occupants of room:____________________________________
RESERVATION CONFIRMATION SHOULD BE SENT TO:

Name:____________________

Address:____________________________________________________________

City:____________________State/Province:_________________Country:__________
Type of Credit Card:
        (circle one) VISA/ MasterCard/ AmEx/ Diner's Club/ Discover/ Optima

Card Number:______________________________ Exp. Date____________________

Name as it appears on your Card:______________________________
Authorized Signature:
                      ______________________________
Cancellation Policy:
 Deposits are refundable if reservation is cancelled 48 hours in advance of
 arrival date. Be sure to record your cancellation number.
 Please indicate any disability which will require special assistance:
FAX to 619-291-3584		e-mail: 74577.504 at compuserve.com

11.  Student Volunteers
INNS always tries to support students in NN.  This is a tradition.
Volunteer workers will get free registration and certain expenses.
However, no travel expenses can be considered. We still need at least
8 students to help at WCNN'94.
	While Ms. Melissa Bishop will be the overall Coordinator, please
contact for details about work and compensation the Student Leader:
	(1) Student Leader: Mr Charles Hsu, Ph D Candidate GWU (Student of
Prof. Mona Zaghloul, Chair of GWU EE Dept,) WCNN'94 Oral Presentation
in Session 14 Neurodynamics & Chaos "Chaotic neurochips .." (with Zaghloul)
Thursday 1:30-1:50 PM
Address: Charles Hsu, 1600 S. Joyce St.  #C710, Arlington VA  22202
Phone: (202) 994-9390 e-mail:  charles at seas.gwu.edu
	(2) Deputy Leader: Ms Ding Jinghua, M.S. in NN from Japan Tohoku Univ.
WCNN'94 Oral Presentation in Session #3 Speech & Language Thurs.  8:00-8:20 AM
"Comp. Psych. Approach to Human Facial Language Communication  to Robots"
Address:  Jinghua Ding, Berukasa 201, Tamagawagakuen 1-6-11,
Machiada-Shi, Tokyo Japan Phone:  81-427-26-2628 e-mail:
lchj at ibis.iamp.tohoku.ac.jp