Input/Output Data Convertion in BackProp.

Antonio J. G. Abelem [Marco] antonio at gsc.ele.puc-rio.br
Mon Mar 28 16:08:40 EST 1994

	I'm using neural networks to predict financial time series,
specifically the gold-prices' time series.

I have experienced some problems with the convertion scheme used to
present data to the network.

I have mainly used LINEAR CONVERTION (original data value converted to
the ranges 0, 1 or -1,+ 1), but it does not seem to work properly.

	I have also had some attempts with:

a) input data in its original value
b) in its derivative form
c) the input minus data average
d) the percent difference between input Ti+1 and Ti

However, for all these cases the target patterns need to be converted
before presenting to the network once its  output is between 0 and 1
(to the sigmoid) or between 1 and -1 (to the hyperbolic tangent).

My results for the single-step mode are good, but i think it could be
better.

On the other hand, for the multi-step, the results are very bad.

Any suggestions on that will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Antonio