a special issue

fu@cis.ufl.edu fu at cis.ufl.edu
Mon Jun 6 15:14:32 EDT 1994

                CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

Special Issue of the Journal ``Knowledge-Based Systems''
Theme: ``Knowledge-Based Neural Networks''

Guest Editor: LiMin Fu (University of Florida, USA)

A.  Background:

Knowledge-based neural networks are concerned with
the use of domain knowledge to
determine the initial structure of the neural network.
Such constructions have drawn increasing attention recently.
The rudimentary idea is simple: the knowledge-based approach
models what we know and the neural-network approach does
what we are ignorant or uncertain of.
Furthermore, there is an urgent need for a bridge
between symbolic artificial intelligence and neural networks.
The main goal of this special issue is to explore the relationship between them
for engineering intelligent systems.

B.  Contents:

Examples of specific research include but are not limited to:
(1) How do we build a neural network based on prior
knowledge?
(2) How do neural heuristics improve the current model
for a particular problem (e.g., classification, planning,
signal processing, and control)?
(3) How does knowledge in conjunction with neural heuristics
contribute to machine learning?
(4) What is the emergent behavior of a hybrid system?
(5) What are the fundamental issues behind the combined approach?

C.  Schedule:

Four copies of a full-length Paper should be submitted, by 1 September 1994,

Dr. LiMin Fu
Department of Computer and Information Sciences
301 CSE
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
USA

All papers will be subject to stringent review.