Research Opportunities Parallelizing ASA and PATHINT

Lester Ingber ingber at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 6 04:44:30 EDT 1994

	Research Opportunities Parallelizing ASA and PATHINT

I am looking for one to several people with experience parallelizing C
code, e.g., on Crays, to work on parallelizing two specific
algorithms:  (a) Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA), and (b) an
algorithm to calculate the time-development of multi-variable nonlinear
Fokker-Planck-type systems, using a powerful non-Monte Carlo path
integral algorithm (PATHINT).  Some code and papers dealing with these
algorithms can be obtained from ftp.alumni.caltech.edu
[131.215.139.234] in the /pub/ingber directory.

I am PI of an award of Cray time on an NSF Supercomputer, and have
ported these codes successfully onto a C90.  However, I am short of
time to further optimize these codes, which is an essential requirement
before doing production runs on C90 and T3D Crays.  If necessary, I
will do this work myself, but I would rather share the work,
experience, and research with other interested people who also can
expedite these projects.  All code will remain under my copyright under
the GNU General Public License (GPL), i.e., the least restrictive
Library GPL.

There are several immediate projects that are just waiting for detailed
calculations, using codes which already run on SPARCstations, but need
the power of supercomputers for production runs.  All results of these
studies will be published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and
only active participants on these projects will be co-authors on these
papers.

Examples of these projects include:
	neuroscience
		statistical mechanics of neocortical interactions (SMNI)
			EEG correlates of behavioral states
			short-term memory modeling
		realistic chaos + noise modeling
	financial applications
		2- and 3-state term-structure security calculations
		testing of trading rules
	nonlinear modeling
		persistence of chaos in the presence of moderate noise

If you are interested, please send me a short description of projects
you have worked on, and how many hours/week you are prepared to commit
to these projects for at least a period of 6-12 months.

Lester

|| Prof. Lester Ingber                                                ||
|| Lester Ingber Research                                             ||
|| P.O. Box 857                     E-Mail: ingber at alumni.caltech.edu ||
|| McLean, VA  22101      Archive: ftp.alumni.caltech.edu:/pub/ingber ||