limited term faculty jobs at Toronto

Geoffrey Hinton hinton at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Jan 25 11:36:50 EST 1994

LIMITED TERM FACULTY POSITIONS AVAILABLE AT TORONTO

The Department of Computer Science at the University of Toronto has two or
three limited term faculty positions available.  Appointments will be for 2 or
3 years and will not be renewed as these are NOT tenure-track jobs.  The
teaching load is approximately 4 hours of lectures per week for both
semesters.  Applications are invited from all areas of Computer Science. The
needs of the Department would be well fitted by an applicant who can teach
numerical analysis and does research on neural networks, especially learning
algorithms, time series prediction, or image interpretation.

The neural networks group in the department currently consists of Geoff
Hinton, Peter Dayan, Mike Revow, Drew van Camp and eight graduate students
(Tony Plate, Radford Neal, Chris Williams, Evan Steeg, Sid Fels, Ed Rasmussen,
Brendan Frey and Sageeve Oore). We have close ties with other researchers in
computer vision, statistics, and psychology.  We have our own Silicon Graphics
multiprocessor containing four R4400 chips.

Applicants from the area of neural networks should send their applications to

Geoffrey Hinton
Computer Science Department
University of Toronto
6 Kings College Road
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A4
CANADA

Please include a CV, the names and addresses of 3 references, an outline of
your research interests and a description of your background in numerical
analysis and your teaching experience.  Applications should be received by
Feb 10, 1994.

In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is
directed to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada, but if there
is no suitable Canadian applicant it may be possible to appoint another
applicant.  In accordance with its Employment Equity Policy, the University of
Toronto encourages applications from qualified women or men, members of
visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.