Preprint: Path-integral evolution of short-term memory

Lester Ingber ingber at alumni.cco.caltech.edu
Sat Jan 15 13:26:51 EST 1994

The following is an abstract from a paper accepted for publication in
Physical Review E.  The preprint may be retrieved via anonymous ftp
from ftp.caltech.edu [131.215.48.151] in the pub/ingber directory using
instructions given below.  The file, smni94_stm.ps.gz, is about 0.9
MBytes.

       Statistical mechanics of neocortical interactions:
          Path-integral evolution of short-term memory

                          Lester Ingber
     Lester Ingber Research, P.O. Box 857, McLean, VA 22101
                    ingber at alumni.caltech.edu

     Previous  papers  in this series of statistical mechanics of
neocortical interactions (SMNI) have detailed a development  from
the   relatively   microscopic   scales  of  neurons  up  to  the
macroscopic scales as recorded by  electroencephalography  (EEG),
requiring  an  intermediate mesocolumnar scale to be developed at
the scale of minicolumns (~10^2 neurons) and macrocolumns  (~10^5
neurons).   Opportunity  was  taken  to  view  SMNI  as  sets  of
statistical  constraints,  not  necessarily  describing  specific
synaptic  or  neuronal  mechanisms,  on neuronal interactions, on
some aspects of short-term  memory  (STM),  e.g.,  its  capacity,
stability  and  duration.   A recently developed C-language code,
PATHINT, provides a non-Monte Carlo technique for calculating the
dynamic  evolution  of  arbitrary-dimension  (subject to computer
resources) nonlinear Lagrangians, such as derived  for  the  two-
variable  SMNI  problem.   Here,  PATHINT  is  used to explicitly
detail the evolution of the SMNI constraints on STM.

Interactively [brackets signify machine prompts]:
        [your_machine%] ftp ftp.caltech.edu
        [Name (...):] anonymous
        [Password:] your_e-mail_address
        [ftp>] cd pub/ingber
        [ftp>] binary
        [ftp>] ls
        [ftp>] get smni94_stm.ps.gz
        [ftp>] quit

This directory also contains the Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA)
code, now at version 2.8, in ASA-shar, ASA-shar.Z, ASA.tar.gz, and
ASA.zip formats.  The 00index file contains an index of the other
(p)reprints and information on getting gzip and unshar for DOS, MAC,
UNIX, and VMS systems.  To get on or off the ASA_list e-mailings, just
send an e-mail to asa-request at alumni.caltech.edu with your request.

If you do not have ftp access, get information on the FTPmail service
by: mail ftpmail at decwrl.dec.com, and send only the word "help" in the
body of the message.

If any of the above are not possible, and if your mailer can handle
large files (please test this first), the code or papers you require
can be sent as uuencoded compressed files via electronic mail.  If you
have gzip, resulting in smaller files, please state this.

Sorry, I cannot assume the task of mailing out hardcopies of code or
papers.

Lester

|| Prof. Lester Ingber                                                ||
|| Lester Ingber Research                                             ||
|| P.O. Box 857                     E-Mail: ingber at alumni.caltech.edu ||
|| McLean, VA  22101             Archive: ftp.caltech.edu:/pub/ingber ||