PhD dissertation available by anonymous ftp

S.B. Holden sbh at eng.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 12:00:33 EST 1994

The following PhD dissertation is available by anonymous ftp from the
archive of the Speech, Vision and Robotics Group at the Cambridge
University Engineering Department.

   On the Theory of Generalization and Self-Structuring in Linearly
                   Weighted Connectionist Networks

                          Sean B. Holden

             Technical Report CUED/F-INFENG/TR161

	    Cambridge University Engineering Department
		        Trumpington Street
		        Cambridge CB2 1PZ
			     England

                             Abstract

The study of connectionist networks has often been criticized for
an overall lack of rigour, and for being based on excessively ad
hoc techniques. Even though connectionist networks have now been
the subject of several decades of study, the available body of
research is characterized by the existence of a significant body of
experimental results, and a large number of different techniques, with
relatively little supporting, explanatory theory. This dissertation
addresses the theory of {\em generalization performance\/} and {\em
architecture selection\/} for a specific class of connectionist
networks; a subsidiary aim is to compare these networks with the
well-known class of multilayer perceptrons.

After discussing in general terms the motivation for our study, we
introduce and review the class of networks of interest, which we call
{\em $\Phi$-networks\/}, along with the relevant supervised training
algorithms. In particular, we argue that $\Phi$-networks can in
general be trained significantly faster than multilayer perceptrons,
and we demonstrate that many standard networks are specific examples
of $\Phi$-networks.

Chapters 3, 4 and 5 consider generalization performance by presenting
an analysis based on tools from computational learning theory. In
chapter 3 we introduce and review the theoretical apparatus required,
which is drawn from {\em Probably Approximately Correct (PAC) learning
theory\/}. In chapter 4 we investigate the {\em growth function\/} and
{\em VC dimension\/} for general and specific $\Phi$-networks,
obtaining several new results. We also introduce a technique which
allows us to use the relevant PAC learning formalism to gain some
insight into the effect of training algorithms which adapt
architecture as well as weights (we call these {\em self-structuring
training algorithms\/}). We then use our results to provide a
theoretical explanation for the observation that $\Phi$-networks can
in practice require a relatively large number of weights when compared
with multilayer perceptrons. In chapter 5 we derive new necessary and
sufficient conditions on the number of training examples required when
training a $\Phi$-network such that we can expect a particular
generalization performance. We compare our results with those derived
elsewhere for feedforward networks of Linear Threshold Elements, and
we extend one of our results to take into account the effect of using
a self-structuring training algorithm.

In chapter 6 we consider in detail the problem of designing a good
self-structuring training algorithm for $\Phi$-networks. We discuss
the best way in which to define an optimum architecture, and we then
use various ideas from linear algebra to derive an algorithm, which we
test experimentally. Our initial analysis allows us to show that the
well-known {\em weight decay\/} approach to self-structuring is not
guaranteed to provide a network which has an architecture close to the
optimum one. We also extend our theoretical work in order to provide a
basis for the derivation of an improved version of our algorithm.

Finally, chapter 7 provides conclusions and suggestions for future
research.

************************ How to obtain a copy ************************

a) Via FTP:

unix> ftp svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk
Name: anonymous
Password: (type your email address)
ftp> cd reports
ftp> binary
ftp> get holden_tr161.ps.Z
ftp> quit
unix> uncompress holden_tr161.ps.Z
unix> lpr holden_tr161.ps (or however you print PostScript)

b) Via postal mail:

Request a hardcopy from

Dr. Sean B. Holden,
Cambridge University Engineering Department,
Trumpington Street,
Cambridge CB2 1PZ,
England.

or email me: sbh at eng.cam.ac.uk