NIPS*93 workshop

Arun Jagota jagota at cs.Buffalo.EDU
Fri Sep 10 17:08:05 EDT 1993

			CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

			  NIPS*93 workshop on

	    Neural Network Methods for Optimization Problems

There are 4-5 slots remaining for brief oral presentations of 20-30 minutes
each. To be considered, submit either (i) a title and one page abstract or
(ii) a bibliography of recent work on the topic.

Please submit materials by electronic mail to Arun Jagota
(jagota at cs.buffalo.edu) by October 5. Later submissions risk not having
remaining open slots.

Program:
-------
Ever since the work of Hopfield and Tank, neural networks have found
increasing use for the approximate solution of hard optimization problems.
The successes in the past have however been limited, when compared to
traditional methods. In this workshop we will discuss the state of the art
of neural network algorithms for optimization, examine their weaknesses and
strengths, and discuss potential for improvement. Second, as the algorithms
arise from different areas (e.g. some from statistical physics, others from
computer science) we hope that researchers from these disciplines will share
their own insights with others. Third, we also hope to discuss theoretical
issues that arise in using neural network algorithms for optimization.
Finally, we hope to have people to discuss parallel implementation issues
or case studies.