Paper Announcement --- Learning in Boltzmann Trees

Lawrence K. Saul lksaul at cmt6.mit.edu
Thu Oct 21 11:13:48 EDT 1993

FTP-host: archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
FTP-file: pub/neuroprose/saul.boltzmann.ps.Z

The file saul.boltzmann.ps.Z is now available for copying in the
Neuroprose repository:

Learning in Boltzmann Trees (11 pages)
Lawrence Saul and Michael Jordan
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

ABSTRACT: We introduce a family of hierarchical Boltzmann machines
that can be trained using standard gradient descent.  The networks
can have one or more layers of hidden units, with tree-like
connectivity.  We show how to implement the learning algorithm for
these Boltzmann machines exactly, without resort to simulated or
mean-field annealing. Stochastic averages are computed by the
technique of decimation.  We present results on the problems of N-bit
parity and the detection of hidden symmetries.

Lawrence Saul
lksaul at cmt6.mit.edu