Cellular Neural Networks mailing list

cells@tce.ing.uniroma1.it cells at tce.ing.uniroma1.it
Thu Nov 25 14:54:50 EST 1993

       *                 CELLULAR NEURAL NETWORKS:                *
       *                 cells at tce.ing.uniroma1.it                *

     Cellular Neural Networks (CNN) are continuous-time dynamical systems,
consisting of a grid of processing elements (neurons, or cells)  connected
only to neighbors  within  a  given  (typically  small)  distance.  It  is
therefore a class of recurrent neural networks, whose particular  topology
is most suited for integrated  circuit  realization.  In  fact,  while  in
typical realizations of other neural systems most of silicon area is taken
by connections, in this case  connection  area  is  neglectible,  so  that
processor density can be much larger.
     Since their first definition by L.O. Chua and L. Yang in  1988,  many
applications were proposed, mainly in the field of  image  processing.  In
most cases a space-invariant weight  pattern  is  used  (i.e.  weights are
defined by a template, which  repeats  identically  for  all  cells),  and
neurons are characterized by simple first order  dynamics.  However,  many
different kinds of dynamics (e.g. oscillatory and chaotic) have also  been
used for special purposes.
     A recent extension of the model is obtained by integrating the analog
CNN with some simple logic components, leading to  the  realization  of  a
universal programmable "analogic" machine.

Essential bibliography:
1) L.O. Chua & L. Yang, "Cellular Neural Networks: Theory", IEEE Trans. on
Circ. and Systems, CAS-35(10), p. 1257, 1988
2) -----, "Cellular Neural Networks: Applications", ibid., p. 1273
3) Proc. of IEEE International Workshop on Cellular  Neural  Networks  and
their Applications (CNNA-90), Budapest, Hungary, Dec. 16-19, 1990
4) Proc. of IEEE Second International Workshop on Cellular Neural Networks
and their Applications (CNNA-92), Munich, Germany, Oct. 14-16, 1992
5) International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, vol.20, no. 5
(1992), special issue on Cellular Neural Networks
6) IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, parts I & II, vol.40, no.  3
(1993), special issue on Cellular Neural Networks
7) T. Roska, L.O. Chua, "The CNN  Universal  Machine:  an  Analogic  Array
Computer", IEEE Trans. on Circ. and Systems, II, 40(3), 1993, p. 163
8) V. Cimagalli, M. Balsi, "Cellular Neural Networks: a Review", Proc.  of
Sixth Italian Workshop on  Parallel  Architectures  and  Neural  Networks,
Vietri sul Mare,  Italy,  May  12-14,  1993.  (E. Caianiello, ed.),  World
Scientific,  Singapore.

     Our research group at "La Sapienza" University of  Rome,  Italy,  has
been involved in CNN research for several years, and will host  next  IEEE
International Workshop on Cellular Neural Networks and their  Applications
(CNNA-94), which will be held in Rome, December 18-21, 1994.

     We are now announcing the start of a new mailing  list  dedicated  to
Cellular Neural Networks. It  will  give  the  opportunity  of  discussing
current research, exchanging news, submitting  questions.  Due  to  memory
shortage, we are currently not able to offer an archive service, and  hope
that some other group will be able to volunteer for the  establishment  of
this means of fast distribution of recent reports and papers.

     The list will not be moderated, at least as  long  as  the  necessity
does not arise.

     THOSE INTERESTED IN BEING INCLUDED IN THE LIST SHOULD SEND A  MESSAGE
to Marco Balsi (who will be supervising the functioning of  the  list)  at
address mb at tce.ing.uniroma1.it  (151.100.8.30). This  is  the  address  to
which any communication not intended to go to all subscribers of the  list
should be sent.
	We would also appreciate  if  you  let  us  know  the  address  of
colleagues who might be interested in the list (rather than  just  forward
the announcement directly), so that we can send them this announcement and
keep track of those that were contacted, avoiding duplications.

   TO SEND MESSAGES TO ALL SUBSCRIBERS PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:
               cells at tce.ing.uniroma1.it  (151.100.8.30)

        We hope that this service will encourage communication and  foster
collaboration among researchers working on CNNs and related topics.
        We are looking forward for your comments, and subscriptions to the
list!
        Yours,
                Prof. V. Cimagalli

Dipartimento di Ingegneria Elettronica