Cultured Neural Nets

Steve Potter spotter at darwin.bio.uci.edu
Fri Jul 2 15:26:17 EDT 1993

Below I present a bibliography of all of the researchers I know of that
are growing neurons in culture on multielectrode substrates.  A belated
thank-you is due to several connectionists who responded to my request
posted a couple of years ago. This is a
surprisingly small list.  If you know of someone I have missed, please
send me email (spotter at darwin.bio.uci.edu).

I believe that approaches such as these are likely to close the gap
between the engineering and biological camps of neural network research.
With long-term, multi-site monitoring of real (though simple) networks, we
may learn which aspects of real neural processors must be included in our
simulations if we hope to emulate the accomplishments of Mother Nature.

If you are involved in this research and I have not contacted
you already, please email me; I am looking for a post-doctoral position.

Steve Potter
Psychobiology dept.
UC Irvine
Irvine, CA 92717
spotter at darwin.bio.uci.edu

CULTURED NETS ON MULTI-ELECTRODE SUBSTRATES:
(Recent or representative publications are listed)
Steve Potter 7-2-93
spotter at darwin.bio.uci.edu

Masuo Aizawa

(Layman's article)
Freedman, D.H. (1992). If he only had a brain. Discover  : 54-60.

Robert L. Dawes, Martingale Research (Texas)

(Proposal--Never followed up?)
Dawes, R.L. (1987). Biomasscomp: A procedure for mapping the architecture
of a living neural network into a machine. IEEE ICNN proceedings  3: 215-225.

Mitch D. Eggers, MIT

(Any subsequent work with this device?)
Eggers, M.D., Astolfi, D.K., Liu, S., Zeuli, H.E., Doeleman, S.S., McKay,
R., Khuon, T.S., and Ehrlich, D.J. (1990). Electronically wired petri
dish:  A microfabricated interface to the biological neuronal network. J.
Vac. Sci. Technol. B  8: 1392-1398.

Peter Fromherz, Ulm University (Germany)

Fromherz, P., Offenhausser, A., Vetter, T., and Weis, J. (1991). A
neuron-silicon junction: a Retzius cell of the leech on an insulated-gate
field-effect transistor. Science  252: 1290-3.

Guenter W. Gross, U. of N. Texas

Gross, G.W. and Kowalski, J. (1991) Experimental and theoretical analysis
of random nerve cell network dynamics, in Neural Networks: Concepts,
applications, and implementations (P. Antognetti and B Milutinovic, Eds.)
Prentice-Hall: NJ. p. 47-110.

Vera Janossy, Central Research Inst. for Physics (Hungary)

Janossy, V., Toth, A., Bodocs, L., Imrik, P., Madarasz, E., and Gyevai, A.
(1990). Multielectrode culture chamber: a device for long-term recording
of bioelectric activities in vitro. Acta Biol Hung  41: 309-20.

Akio Kawana, NTT (Japan)

(News article)
Koppel, T. (1993). Computer firms look to the brain. Science  260: 1075-1077.

Jerome Pine, Caltech

Regehr, W.G., Pine, J., Cohan, C.S., Mischke, M.D., and Tank, D.W. (1989).
Sealing cultured invertebrate neurons to embedded dish electrodes
facilitates long-term stimulation and recording. J Neurosci Methods  30:
91-106.

David W. Tank, AT&T Bell Labs

(Abstract)
Tank, D.W. and Ahmed, Z. (1985). Multiple site monitoring of activity in
cultured neurons. Biophys. J.  47: 476a.

C. D. W. Wilkinson, U. of Glasgow (Scotland)

Connolly, P., Clark, P., Curtis, A.S., Dow, J.A., and Wilkinson, C.D.
(1990). An extracellular microelectrode array for monitoring electrogenic
cells in culture. Biosens Bioelectron  5: 223-34.

Curtis, A.S., Breckenridge, L., Connolly, P., Dow, J.A., Wilkinson, C.D.,
and Wilson, R. (1992). Making real neural nets: design criteria. Med Biol
Eng Comput  30: CE33-6.

ACUTE PREPS (NOT CULTURED):

Bruce C. Wheeler, U. of Illinois

(Hippocampal slice)
Boppart, S.A., Wheeler, B.C., and Wallace, C.S. (1992). A flexible
perforated microelectrode array for extended neural recordings. Ieee Trans
Biomed Eng  39: 37-42.

Novak, J.L. and Wheeler, B.C. (1986). Recording from the Aplysia abdominal
ganglion with a planar microelectrode array. Ieee Trans Biomed Eng  33:
196-202.

Markus Meister, Harvard

Meister, M., Wong, R.O., Baylor, D.A., and Shatz, C.J. (1991). Synchronous
bursts of action potentials in ganglion cells of the developing mammalian
retina. Science  252: 939-43.

Litke, A. and Meister, M. (1991). The retinal readout array. Nuclear
Instruments and Methods in Physics Research  A310: 389-394.