non-Turing machines?

Laveen N. Kanal kanal at cs.UMD.EDU
Mon Feb 15 12:35:27 EST 1993

I have only tuned into part of the quantum computers discussion and so I don't
know if the following references have been mentioned in the discussion.
Having speculated about natural perception not being modelable by Turing
machines, I was not surprised to find similar speculation in the book
Renewing Philosophy by Hilary Putnam (Harvard Univ. Press, 1992) which I
picked up at the bookstore the other day. But Putnam does cite two specific
refrences which may be of interest in this context.

Marian Boykan Pour-El and Ian Richards, " The Wave Equation with  Computable
Initial Data Such That Its Unique Solution Is Not Computable," Advances in
Mathematics, 39 (1981) p. 215-239

Georg Kreisel's review of the above paper in The Journal of Symbolic Logic,
47, No. 4, (1982) p. 900-902.