Preprint announcement: Generalization of a Parametric Learning Rule

Samy Bengio bengio at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Aug 16 11:09:57 EDT 1993

FTP-host: archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
FTP-filename: /pub/neuroprose/bengio.general.ps.Z

The following file has been placed in neuroprose:
(no hardcopies will be provided):

           GENERALIZATION OF A PARAMETRIC LEARNING RULE (8 pages)

    by Samy Bengio, Yoshua Bengio, Jocelyn Cloutier, and Jan Gecsei

                            Abstract:

In previous work we discussed the
subject of parametric learning rules for neural networks.
In this article, we present a theoretical basis permitting to study
the {\it generalization} property of a learning rule whose parameters
are estimated from a set of learning tasks. By generalization, we mean
the possibility of using the learning rule to learn solve new tasks.
Finally, we describe simple experiments on two-dimensional categorization
tasks and show how they corroborate the theoretical results.

This paper is an extended version of a paper which will appear in ICANN'93:
Proceedings of the International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks.

To retrieve the file:

unix> ftp cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
Connected to cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu.
220 cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu FTP server ready.
Name: anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:<your email adress>
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> get bengio.general.ps.Z
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for bengio.general.ps.Z
226 Transfer complete.
100000 bytes sent in 3.14159 seconds
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
unix> uncompress bengio.general.ps.Z
unix lpr bengio.general.ps (or however you print out postscript)

Many thanks to Jordan Pollack for maintaining this archive.

--
Samy Bengio	E-mail: bengio at iro.umontreal.ca	     Fax:       (514) 343-5834
		Tel: (514) 343-6111 ext. 3545/3494   Residence: (514) 495-3869