neuroanatomy list ad & more on bee brains

Jay Pittman pittman at mcc.com
Thu Aug 12 08:38:30 EDT 1993

Excellent note, well stated.  I agree with everything
Detweiler said about the press.

On the other hand, when I originally read Bill Skaggs note
I didn't think he was being all that critical.  I went back
and looked at it again, and, yes, he does sound like a real
flamer, WHEN I START OUT ASSUMING THAT.  One can also read
it as a calmly-stated critique of the article.  I find
myself imagining different "tones of voice", depending on
(presumably) random triggers.  I hope when you read this
note you perceive me speaking in a calm, relaxed manner.

While I agree with Detweiler's attitude toward the popular
press, I think Skaggs statements were addressed to us, the
members of the research community, and not to the reporters.
As long as the note does not reach members of that
community, we should tolerate somewhat-more-grouchy
phrasing than we might want for lay consumption.

I've just spent a lot of time trying to carefully word the
above message.  The neat thing about a group such as
connectionists is that (I think) we can skip that labor,
and just spit out our thoughts.  Or perhaps I am being
naive?

BTW, I have no HO on bee brains.  My own dendrites get
thinner every day.