Paper on Neuroprose

David Redish David_Redish at GS17.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
Fri Apr 9 10:08:25 EDT 1993

The following paper has been placed in the Neuroprose archive.
Comments and questions are welcome.

   Neural Representation of Space Using Sinusoidal Arrays

   David S. Touretzky     A. David Redish     Hank S. Wan

		School of Computer Science
		Computer Science Department
		Carnegie Mellon University
		   Pittsburgh, PA 15213

O'Keefe (1991) has proposed that spatial information in rats might be
represented as phasors: phase and amplitude of a sine wave encoding angle
and distance to a landmark.  We describe computer simulations showing that
operations on phasors can be efficiently realized by arrays of spiking
neurons that re-code the temporal dimension of the sine wave spatially.
Some cells in motor and parietal cortex exhibit response properties
compatible with this proposal.

This paper will appear in Neural Computation.

FTP INSTRUCTIONS

"Getps touretzky.sinusoidal-arrays.ps.Z" if you have the shell script, or

     unix% ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu (or 128.146.8.52)
     Name: anonymous
     Password: neuron
     ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
     ftp> binary
     ftp> get touretzky.sinusoidal-arrays.ps.Z
     ftp> bye
     unix% uncompress touretzky.sinusoidal-arrays.ps
     unix% lpr touretzky.sinusoidal-arrays.ps

Note that the last figure does not print out correctly on all
printers.  If you have trouble printing it out, we have supplied a
copy of the figure in its own postscript file.  (We've never had a
problem printing it out alone, just included into the document.)  The
extra file is called "touretzky.extra-fig.ps" and can be retrieved
from the same directory in the same manner as "touretzky.sinusoidal-array.ps.Z".
The extra figure is not compressed.