Werner Reichardt

Jack Cowan cowan at synapse.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 29 15:58:17 EDT 1992

It is with great regret that I have to announce the death of Werner
Reichardt.  Werner was a student in Berlin at the outbreak of WW II
and fought against the Nazis in the German underground. He was
captured by the Gestapo but saved by the Russians shortly before his
scheduled execution. Werner began his career as a post doc with Max
Delbruck at CalTech, but first became known for his work with Bernard
Hassenstein on motion detection.  He set up the Max Planck Institute
for Biological Cybernetics in the early 60s and founded the journal
Kybernetik, now known as Biological Cybernetics.  He produced a great
deal of excellent pioneering work on Fly vision, especially with
Tommy Poggio.  He will be greatly missed by his many friends, of whom
I count myself fortunate to have been one.    Jack Cowan