Neural Network Workshop

anshu@lexington.rutgers.edu anshu at lexington.rutgers.edu
Fri Sep 18 15:31:59 EDT 1992

		CAIP Center, Rutgers University & FAA
			announces

		IInd NEURAL NETWORK WORKSHOP

			presenting

	* The state of the art in Neural Network theory and applications
       	* With some of the most eminent people in the field including
       	  two Nobel laureates and a Field's Medal winner

	   (Attendance is limited and on a first-come-first basis)

			   NEURAL NETWORK WORKSHOP

		         Richard Mammone, Chairman

			      Sponsored by

                	   FAA Technical Center

			       Hosted by

                	    the Center for
	   	Computer Aids for Industrial Productivity (CAIP)

                          TENTATIVE PROGRAM

                         TUESDAY - THURSDAY

	               27 - 29 OCTOBER, 1992

		  _____________________________________
		   THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY
			      RUTGERS
              	  ______________________________________

	Center for Computer Aids for Industrial Productivity (CAIP)
   Frelinghuysen Road - P.O. Box 1390 - Piscataway - New Jersey 08855-1390
		Tel: 908/932-4208  -  FAX: 908/932-4775

	A New Jersey Commission on Science and Technology Center

			Tuesday, 27 October 1992
		       **************************

8:30 a.m.	_____________________Registration; Coffee____________________

8:45 a.m.	Opening Remarks
		Leo T. Powell, FAA Technical Center
		Richard Mammone - Workshop Chairman,Rutgers University

8: 55 a.m.	Neural Networks for Speech Processing and Language
		Session Chairman, Allen Gorin, - AT&T Bell Laboratories

9:00 a.m.	Neural Networks in the Acquisition of Speech by Machine
		Frank Fallside, Cambridge University, U.K.

9:30 a.m.	The Nervous System: Fantasy and Reality
		Nelson Kiang - Massachusetts Eye and Ear

10:10 a.m.	________________________Coffee Break________________________

10:30 a.m.	Processing of Speech Segments in the Auditory Periphery
		Oded Ghitza - AT&T Bell Labs

10:50 a.m.	Is There a Role for Neural Networks in Speech Recognition?
		John Bridle - Dragon

11:10 a.m.	Some Relationships Between Artificial Neural Nets and
		Hidden Markov Models
		Arthur Nadas - IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

11:30 p.m.	_____________________________Lunch_______________________

1:30 p.m.	The Neuropsychology of Word Reading: A Connectionist Approach
		David Plaut - Carnegie Mellon University

1:50 p.m.	States Versus Stacks: Representing Grammatical Structure
		in a Recurrent Neural Network
		Jeffrey Elman - UCSD

2:10 p.m.	Connections and Associations in Language Acquisition
		Naftali Tishby - Hebrew University, Israel

2:30 p.m.	Recurrent Neural Networks and Sequential Machines
		Lee Giles - NEC

2:50 p.m.	_________________________Coffee Break_______________________

3:10 p.m.	A Self-Learning Neural Tree Network for Phoneme Classification
		Mazin Rahim - CAIP Center, Rutgers University

3:30 p.m.	Decision Feedback Learning of Neural Networks
		Fred Juang - AT&T Bell Laboratories

3:50 p.m.	An Experiment in Spoken Language Acquisition
		Allen Gorin, Session Chairman - AT&T Bell Laboratories

4:10 p.m.	Visual Focus of Attention in Language Acquisition
		Ananth Sankar - AT&T Bell Laboratories

4:30 p.m.	Integrating Segmental Neural Nets with Hidden Markov Models for
		Continuous Speech Recognition
		John Makhoul, George Zaualiagkos, Richard Schwartz,
		Steve Austin - BBN Systems and Technologies, Cambridge, MA

4:50 p.m.	Panel Discussion - The Future of Neural Nets for Speech
		Processing
		Steve Levinson, Chairman; John Makhoul, Ester Levine, Naftali
	        Tishby,	John Bridle

5:40 p.m.	Decision Making Using Conventional Calculations Versus Neural
		Nets for Advanced Explosive Detection Systems
		Thomas Miller - Tensor Tech. Assoc.

6:00 p.m.	_____________________________Dinner________________________

7:30 p.m.	Break Out Groups

Room 1:		What Are the Most Successful Applications of Neural Networks?
		Chris Scofield (Chairman), Philip Gouin, Larry Jackel,
		Eric Schwartz, Ed DeRouin

Room 2:		What Theoretical Contributions Have Neural Network Researchers
		Made?
		Eduardo Sontag (Chairman), Georg Schnitzer, Fred Girosi,
		S. Venkatesh, Steven Judd, Jeff Vitter, Wolfgang Maass,
		Charles Fefferman, Kurt Hornik

Room 3:		What Is the Impact of Government Support on the Development of
		Networks?
		Wagih Makky (Chairman), Shiu Cheung, Richard Ricart,
		John Cozzens, Steve Suddarth

			Wednesday, 28 October 1992
		       ****************************

8:55 a.m.	Neural Network Applications in Vision
		Session Chairman, Chris Scofield, - Nestor

9:00 a.m.	Integrated Segmentation and Recognition of Handprinted
		Characters
		James Keeler - MCC

9:20 a.m.	Neural Net Image Analysis for Postal Applications: From
		Locating Address Blocks to Determining Zip Codes
		Larry Jackel - AT&T Bell Laboratories

9:40 a.m.	Space Invariant Active Vision
		Eric Schwartz - Brain Research

10:00 a.m.	_________________________Coffee Break_______________________

10:30 a.m.	Engineering Document Processing with Neural Networks
		Philip Gouin - Nestor, Inc.

10:50 a.m.	Goal - Oriented Training of Neural Networks
		Ed DeRouin - Thought Processes, Inc.

11:10 a.m.	Hybrid Neural Networks and Image Restoration
		K.V. Prasad - CalTech

11:30 a.m.	Neural Networks for Vision Session
		K.V. Prasad, Session Chairman - CalTech

11:50 a.m.	A Discrete Radon Transform Method for Invariant Image Analysis
		Using Artificial Neural Networks
		John Doherty - Iowa State University

12:10 p.m.	_____________________________Lunch________________________

1:30 p.m.	(Title to be announced)
		Leon Cooper - Brown University

1:50 p.m.	Dynamic Systems and Perception
		Alexander Pentland - Massachusetts Institute of Technology

2:00 p.m.	Deterministic Annealing for Optimization
		Alan Yuille - Harvard University

2:10 p.m.	Neural Networks in Vision
		Yehoshua Zeevi - Technion Israel

2:30 p.m.	A Neural Chip Set for Supervised Learning and CAM
		Josh Alspector - Bellcore

2:50 p.m.	Cortical Dynamics of Feature Binding & Reset: Control of
		Visual Persistence
		Ennio Mingolla, Gregory Francis, Stephen Grossberg

3:10 p.m.	_________________________Coffee Break_______________________

3:30 p.m.	Face Recognition Using an NTN
		Joseph Wilder - CAIP

3:50 p.m.	Bounds for the Computational Power and Learning Complexity
		of Analog Neural Nets
		Wolfgang Maass - Graz, Austria

4:10 p.m.	Computational Issues in Neural Networks
		George Cybenko - Dartmouth College

4:30 p.m. 	Title to be announced
		Kurt Hornik - Wein University, Austria

4:50 p.m.	Technical Discussions

6:00 p.m.	Dinner and Celebration in Honor of Jim Flanagan for Receiving
		The Marconi International Fellowship Award

			Thursday, 29 October 1992
		       ***************************

8:45 a.m.	Recurrent Network Sessions
		Session Chairman, Richard Ricart-Booz Allen

8:50 a.m.	To be announced
		S. Y. Kung - Princeton

9:10 a.m.	Comparison of Feedforward and Recurrent Sensitivity
		Gary Kuhn - Siemens

9:30 a.m.	Short Term Memory Mechanisms for Recurrent Neural Networks
		Bert DeVries, John Pearson - David Sarnoff Research Center

9:50 a.m.	Recurrent Neural Networks for Speaker Recognition
		Richard Ricart-Booz Allen

10:10 a.m.	Processing of Complex Stimuli in the Mammalian Cochlear Nucleus
		Eric Young - Johns Hopkins

10:30 a.m.	_________________________Coffee Break_______________________

10:50 a.m.	Applications of Neural Networks
		Session Chairman, Richard Mammone - Rutgers University

11:10 a.m.	Neural Networks for the Detection of Plastic Explosives in
		Airline	Baggage
		Richard Mammone

11:30 a.m.	Non-Literal Transfer of Information Among Inductive Learners
		Lorien Pratt - Colorado School of Mines

12:00 p.m.	_____________________________Lunch________________________

1:30 p.m.	Neural Networks for Identification and Control of Nonlinear
		Systems
		Eduardo Sontag - Rutgers University

1:50 p.m.	Using Neural Networks to Identify DNA Sequences
		Mick Noordeweir - Rutgers University

2:10 p.m.	Large Scale Holographic Optical Neural Network for Data Fusion
		and Signal Processing
		Taiwei Lu - Physical Optics Corp.

2:30 p.m.	A Biologically Based Synthetic Nervous System for a Real World
		Device
		George Reeke, Jr., Gerald Edelman - The Neurosciences Institute

2:50 a.m.	Title to be announced
		Shigeru Katagiri - ATR, Japan

3:10 p.m.	"Learning by Learning" in Neural Networks
		Devang Naik - Rutgers University

3:30 p.m.	Relabeling Methods of Learning
		Wen Wu - CAIP

3:50 p.m.	Long Term Memory for Neural Networks
		Anshu Agarwal - Rutgers University

4:10 p.m.	Wavelet Neural Networks
		Toufic Boubez - Rutgers University

4:30 p.m.	End of Workshop

			---------*----*----*--------

		       NEURAL NETWORK WORKSHOP

                         27-29 October, 1992
    |  WORKSHOP REGISTRATION FORM                                        |
    | YES! I want to attend the Neural Network Workshop, October 27-29,  |
    | 1992. I understand my registration fee includes all sessions,      |
    | dinners, refreshment breaks, reception and working materials.      |
    | Name ___________________________________________________________   |
    | Company ________________________________________________________   |
    | Address ________________________________________________________   |
    | City/State/Zip _________________________________________________   |
    | Telephone No. __________________________________________________   |
    REGISTRATION IS LIMITED! APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED WHEN
    ACCOMPANIED WITH PAYMENT. MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO THE CAIP CENTER,
    RUTGERS UNIVERSITY.
    Registration: Non-member fee ($395)                $____________
                  Member fee for participants from
                  CAIP member organizations ($295)     $____________

    EARLY REGISTRATION IS ADVISED! Mail form & payment to: CAIP Center,
    Rutgers Univ, 7th floor, CoRE Blgd., PO Box-1390, Piscataway,NJ-08855.

    |  HOTEL REGISTRATION FORM                                           |
    | Name ___________________________________________________________   |
    | Company ________________________________________________________   |
    | Address ________________________________________________________   |
    | A block of rooms for this conference has been reserved at a special|
    | University room rate of $81 per single/double room per night.      |
    | Hotel Reservations will be made through the CAIP Center.           |
    | I will require room(s):                                            |
    |                        Monday, October 26   ( )                    |
    |                        Tuesday, October 27  ( )                    |
    |                        Wednesday, October 28( )                    |
    |                        Thursday, October 29 ( )                    |