Request references on volume and connectivity

Jaap Murre jaap.murre at mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 15 17:45:08 EDT 1992

Request for references

I have recently been working on some theories on the implementation of neural
networks. For example, it can be shown that a fully connected brain would
measure over 10x10x10 meters. I am also interested in the volume of randomly
connected and modular neural networks. I am not sure whether I am working
within the correct framework at the moment, so I would like to verify my
results. Does anyone know of similar work? The only reference I have come
across is by Nelson and Bower (1990) in TINS. They calculated that a fully
connected brain with neurons on the surface of sphere would have a 10 km
radius! This is clearly not a useful framework for approximation as it leads
to gross overestimates.

Thanks,
           Jaap Murre

Jacob M.J. Murre