The sigmoid is the poserior distribution from Gaussian likelihoods

Tony Robinson ajr at eng.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 16 16:31:38 EDT 1992

Geoff Hinton <hinton at edu.toronto.ai> writes:

>This result (for a single output unit) was published by Hinton and Nowlan in
>1990 in Neural Computation (Vol 2 page 359).  But it is unlikely that this was
>the first publication.

Indeed.  There is a pretty good analysis in Duda and Hart, "Pattern
Classification and Scene Analysis" Wiley Interscience (1973).  I'm reliably
informed that the forthcoming second edition will be even better.

Also, I made a mistake in my original posting, the ftp address is really
svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk, sorry about that.

Tony [Robinson]