Paper available on Neuroprose: Stork.obs.ps.Z

Gregory J. Wolff wolff at cache.crc.ricoh.com
Mon Sep 14 12:09:58 EDT 1992

The following paper has been placed on the neuroprose archive as
stork.obs.ps.Z and is available via anonymous ftp (from
archive.cis.ohio-state.edu in the pub/neuroprose directory).
This paper will be presented at NIPS-92.

  Second Order Derivatives for Network Pruning:
            Optimal Brain Surgeon

Babak Hassibi and David G. Stork, Ricoh California Research Center

   ABSTRACT: We investigate the use of information from all second order
derivatives of the error function to perform network pruning (i.e.,
removing unimportant weights from a trained network) in order to improve
generalization and increase the speed of further training.  Our method,
Optimal Brain Surgeon (OBS), is significantly better than
magnitude-based methods, which can often remove the wrong weights.  OBS
also represents a major improvement over other methods, such as Optimal
Brain Damage [Le Cun, Denker and Solla, 1990], because ours uses the
full off-diagonal information of the Hessian matrix H.  Crucial to OBS
is a recursion relation for calculating H inverse from training data and
structural information of the net.  We illustrate OBS on standard
benchmark problems: the MONK's problems.  The most successful method in
a recent competition in machine learning [Thrun et al., 1991] was
backpropagation using weight decay, which yielded a network with 58
weights for one MONKs problem.  OBS requires only 14 weights for the
same performance accuracy.  On two other MONKs problems, our method
required only 38% and 10% of the weights found by magnitude-based pruning.

Here is an example of how to retrieve this file:

gvax> ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
Connected to archive.cis.ohio-state.edu.
220 archive.cis.ohio-state.edu FTP server ready.
Name: anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:neuron at wherever
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> get stork.obs.ps.Z
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for stork.obs.ps.Z
226 Transfer complete.
100000 bytes sent in 3.14159 seconds
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.