paper in neuroprose

mclennan@cs.utk.edu mclennan at cs.utk.edu
Fri Oct 30 17:34:36 EST 1992

               **DO NOT FORWARD TO OTHER GROUPS**

The following technical report has been placed in the Neuroprose
archives at Ohio State (filename: maclennan.dendnet.ps.Z).  Ftp
instructions follow the abstract.  N.B. The uncompressed file is
quite long (1.2 Mbytes), so you may have to use the -s option on
lpr to print it.

           Information Processing in the Dendritic Net

                         Bruce MacLennan
                   Computer Science Department
                     University of Tennessee
                       Knoxville, TN 37996
                      maclennan at cs.utk.edu

                   Technical Report CS-92-180

                            ABSTRACT:

The goal of this paper is a model of the dendritic net that: (1)
is mathematically tractable, (2) is reasonably true to the biol-
ogy, and (3) illuminates information processing in the neuropil.
First I discuss some general principles of mathematical modeling
in a biological context that are relevant to the use of linearity
and orthogonality in our models.  Next I discuss the hypothesis
that the dendritic net can be viewed as a linear field computer.
Then I discuss the approximations involved in analyzing it as a
dynamic, lumped-parameter, linear system.  Within this basically
linear framework I then present: (1) the self-organization of
matched filters and of associative memories; (2) the dendritic
computation of Gabor and other nonorthogonal representations; and
(3) the possible effects of reverse current flow in neurons.

Based on a presentation at the 2nd Annual Behavioral and Computa-
tional Neuroscience Workshop, Georgetown University, Washington
DC, May 18--20, 1992.

                        FTP INSTRUCTIONS

Either use the Getps script, or do the following:

     unix> ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu (or 128.146.8.52)
     Name: anonymous
     Password: <your e-mail address>
     ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
     ftp> binary
     ftp> get maclennan.dendnet.ps.Z
     ftp> quit
     unix> uncompress maclennan.dendnet.ps.Z
     unix> lpr -s maclennan.dendnet.ps (or however you print LONG postscript)

If you need hardcopy, then send your request to:

                       library at cs.utk.edu

     Bruce MacLennan
     Department of Computer Science
     107 Ayres Hall