Debate on recent paper by Amari

Pankaj Mehra p-mehra at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 26 01:17:36 EST 1992

Fellow Connectionists:

	I have recently come across some thought-provoking debate
between Dr. Andras Pellionisz and Prof. Shun-Ichi Amari regarding
Prof. Amari's recent paper in Neural Networks. (Refer to an earlier
message from me 09/11/91 "Exploiting duality to analyze ANNs")

The paper in question is:
Shun-Ichi Amari, ``Dualistic Geometry of the Manifold of Higher-Order Neurons,''
Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 443-451, 1991.

At the risk of irritating some of you, I am reproducing excerpts of this
debate from recent issues of Neuron Digest, a moderated discussion forum.
I urge you to (i) continue the debate on that forum instead of swamping
connectionists' mailing list with responses; and, (ii) refrain from sending
me e-mail responses. I understand that long messages to the entire list are
discouraged but feel compelled to post this message because of its obvious
relevance to all of us.

Following are the excerpts of recent debate gleaned from Neuron Digest,
Vol. 9, Issues 8-10,14.

submissions. Old issues are available via FTP from cattell.psych.upenn.edu
(128.91.2.173).

In what follows, "Editor's Notes" refer to the moderator's comments, not mine.

-Pankaj Mehra
University of Illinois

Neuron Digest   Saturday, 22 Feb 1992
                Volume 9 : Issue 8