Tech Report Available

Hideyuki Kato cateau at star.phys.metro-u.ac.jp
Mon Jun 29 18:06:04 EDT 1992

The following techinical report  is now available in neuroprose:

            Power law in the performance of the human memory
                                and
              a simulation with a neural network model

Tatsuhiro Nakajima,  Nobuko Fuchikami
Department of Physics, Tokyo Metropolitan University
1-1 Minami-Osawa, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-03, Japan

Hideyuki Cateau
Department of Physics, University of Tokyo
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113, Japan

Hiroshi Nunokawa
National Laboratory for High Energy Physics (KEK)
Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305, Japan

This paper will appear in proceedings of ISKIT'92.
The report number of this paper is TMUP-HEL-9203, TU-611, KEK-TH-334
or KEK preprint 92-40.

Abstract

We show that a learning pace of the back propagation model is
described by a power law
with high precision.  Interestingly the
same power law was found out in the human memory by a psychologist
in the past.
Therefore our result provides a quantitative evidence that the back
propagation  model, though it is simple, surely shares
 some essential structure with the human brain.  In proceeding the
discussion we make out a novel memory model.
This model naturally avoids the notable difficulty of
the back propagation network that the learning  of it  is very
sensitive to the initial condition.

   * Hard copy request is not available, sorry*

Instructions for obtaining by anonymous ftp:

%ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
Name: anonymous
Password:neuron
ftp>bin