call for contributions

Dr. Josef Skrzypek skrzypek at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Jun 12 11:57:17 EDT 1992

		    CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS

   We are organizing a special edited book to be published by Kluwer, that
is dedicated to the subject of NEURAL NETWORK SIMULATION ENVIRONMENTS.
Submissions will be refereed. The plan calls for the book to be published
in the winter/spring of 1993.  I would like to invite your participation.

      DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: 25th of September, 1992

      VOLUME TITLE: Neural Networks Simulation Environments

      EDITOR: Prof. Josef Skrzypek
      Department of Computer Science, 3532 BH
      UCLA
      Los Angeles CA 90024-1596
      Email: skrzypek at cs.ucla.edu
      Tel: (310) 825 2381
      Fax: (310) UCLA CSD

			 DESCRIPTION

   This edited volume is devoted to ``Simulation environments for studying
   neuronal functions ''. The purpose of this special book is to encourage
   further work and discussion in the area of Neural Network Simulation
   tools that matured over the last decade into advanced neural
   modeling environments.  Computer simulation is currently the best way to
   study dynamic properties of complex neuronal assemblies that might be
   mathematically intractable until we learn how to grow our own neurons on
   the breadboards.  Simulation is also a way to avoid building prototypes
   without testing and verification of the design. Finally, computer
   simulation of very large complex systems, capable of intelligence or
   vision is the only reasonable way to organize the ever increasing flood
   of knowledge about these phenomena.

   In the past decade the development of neural network simulation
   environments has focused on two areas: 1) realistic (compartmental)
   models of a single neuron (small cluster of neurons) based on information
   currently available from the Neurosciences and 2) computational models
   of abstract neurons in support of "artificial" or connectionist models.
   All these  NEURAL NETWORK SIMULATION ENVIRONMENTS
   HAVE NOT BEEN COMPREHENSIVELY COLLECTED, ORGANIZED, OR COMPARED
   ANYWHERE.  Hence this volume should be a valuable addition to the
   desktop library for every computational neuroscientist as well as
   engineer designing artificial neural systems.

   The volume will include both invited and submitted peer-reviewed
   contributions. We are seeking submissions from researchers in relevant
   fields, including, computational neuroscience, natural and artificial
   vision, scientific computing, artificial intelligence, psychology, image
   and signal processing and pattern recognition.  We are seeking
   submission describing MATURE (useful) WORKING simulation environements
   dedicated to modeling a complete spectrum of neural phenomena from
   membrane biophysics to computational abstraction such as for example
   three-layer backpropagation network.

   The volume will consist of three parts devoted to each major
   class of neural simulation methodologies:

   NEUROPHYSIOLOGICAL REALISM; simulators supporting neural models that
   incorporate detail models of membrane biophysics.

   PSYCHOPHYSICAL REALISM; simulators supporting computational models
   of neurons and networks that can account for reported psychological
   phenomena.

   Connectionist (Symbolic) - based simulators for neuronal networks
   models used in industry.

   We would like to encourage submissions from both, researchers engaged
   in analysis of biological systems such as modeling
   psychophysical/neurophysiological data using neural networks as well as
   from members of the engineering community who are synthesizing neural
   network models.  The number of papers that can be included in this
   edited volume will be limited.  Therefore, some qualified papers may be
   encouraged for submission to professional journals.

			  SUBMISSION PROCEDURE

   Submissions should  be sent to Josef Skrzypek, by Sept 25 1992.  The
   suggested length is  20-22 double-spaced  pages  including figures,
   references,  abstract and  so  on. Format  details, etc.  will   be
   supplied on request.

   Authors  are strongly  encouraged  to  discuss  ideas  for possible
   submissions with the editor Tel (310)825-2381 or skrzypek at cs.ucla.edu

   Thank you for your considerations.