Last notice and registration form for conference Feb. 6-8, UT Dallas

B344DSL@utarlg.uta.edu B344DSL at utarlg.uta.edu
Wed Jan 22 12:03:00 EST 1992

The program and abstracts I sent for the Optimality conference Feb. 6-8, I
believe, did not include a registration form.  I am sorry for the error:
since I have already sent out two mailings to Connectionists on this con-
ference, this is the last general mailing I will send on it.  Anybody desi-
ring more information, e.g., abstracts that weren't included earlier, should
contact me individually (my e-mail address is at the end of the registration
form which I am including in this notice.)  Hope to see some of you there.

Dan Levine

                 REGISTRATION FOR CONFERENCE ON

                  OPTIMALITY IN BIOLOGICAL AND
                      ARTIFICIAL NETWORKS?

                     FEBRUARY 6 TO 8, 1992,
                  UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS

Sponsored by Metroplex Institute for Neural Dynamics (MIND), Texas
SIG of International Neural Network Society (INNS), and the
University of Texas at Dallas

Name   _______________________________________________________
       LAST                  FIRST                MIDDLE

Mailing Address  ________________________________________________

Affiliation      ________________________________________________

Telephone Number ____________________

e-mail if any    ____________________

FAX if any       ____________________

    Registration fee (please enclose check payable to MIND):

Non-student members of MIND or INNS,         $70       _______
     or UTD faculty or staff

Other non-students                           $80       _______

Student members of MIND or INNS,             $10       _______
     or UTD students

Other students                               $20       _______

Presenters (oral or poster) from outside
     Dallas-Ft. Worth                        FREE      _______
           (Note: Registration does not include meals)

                             Hotel:

Please check if you need a reservation card            ______
     (Rooms at the Richardson Hilton are $59 a night)
Please check if you wish to share a room               ______

Reduced fares are available to Dallas-Fort Worth on American
Airlines.  Call the airline and ask for StarFile S14227D, under the
name of MIND.

Preregistrants whose forms and payment checks are received by
January 31 will be mailed a preregistration package with a
confirmation.  This will include a complete schedule with times of
presentations and directions to the hotel and conference site.

Please send this form to:

     Professor Daniel S. Levine
     Department of Mathematics
     Box 19408
     University of Texas at Arlington
     Arlington, TX 76019-0408
     Office: 817-273-3598; FAX: 817-794-5802;
          e-mail b344dsl at utarlg.uta.edu

Conference program(still subject to minor change):

ORAL PRESENTATIONS --

Thursday, Feb. 6, AM:

Daniel Levine, U. of Texas, Arlington -- Don't Just Stand There,
	Optimize Something!
Samuel Leven, Radford U. -- Man as Machine?  Conflicting Optima, Dynamic Goals,
	and Hope
Wesley Elsberry, Battelle Research Labs -- Putting Optimality in its Place:
	Argument on Context, Systems, and Neural Networks
Graham Tattersall, U. of East Anglia -- Optimal Generalisation in
	Artificial Neural Networks

Thursday, Feb. 6, PM:

Steven Hampson, U. of Cal., Irvine -- Problem Solving in a Connectionist
	World Model
Richard Golden, U. of Texas, Dallas -- Identifying a Neural Network's
	Computational Goals: a Statistical Optimization Perspective
Harold Szu, Naval Surface Warfare Center -- Why Do We Study Neural Network
	Formations on VLSI Chips and Why Are Wavelets More Natural for
	Brain-Style Computing?
Arun Jagota, SUNY at Buffalo -- Efficient Optimizing Dynamics in a
	Hopfield-style network

Friday, Feb. 7, AM:

Gershom Rosenstein, Hebrew U. -- For What are Brains Striving?
Gail Carpenter, Boston U. -- Fuzzy ARTMAP: Adaptive Resonance for
	Supervised Learning
Stephen Grossberg, Boston U. -- Vector Associative Maps: Self-Organizing
	Neural Networks for Error-based Learning, Spatial Orientation,
	and Sensory-Motor Control
Haluk Ogmen, U. of Houston -- Self-Organization via Active Exploration
	in Robotics

Friday, Feb. 7, PM:

David Stork, Ricoh California Research Center -- Non-optimality in
	Neurobiological Systems
Ian Parberry, U. of North Texas -- Neural Networks and Computational Complexity
David Chance, Central Oklahoma U. -- Real-time Neuronal Models Compared Within
	a Classical Conditioning Framework
Samy Bengio, Universite de Montreal -- On the Optimization of a Synaptic
	Learning Rule

Saturday, Feb. 8, AM:

Karl Pribram, Radford U. -- The Least Action Principle: Does it Apply to
	Cognitive Processes?
Paul Prueitt, Georgetown U. -- Control Hierarchies and the Return to Homeostasis
Herve Abdi, U. of Texas, Dallas -- Generalization of the Linear Auto-Associator
Sylvia Candelaria de Ram, New Mexico State U. -- Interactive Sub-systems of
	Natural Language and the Treatment of Specialized Function

Saturday, Feb. 8, PM:

Panel discussion on the basic themes of the conference

POSTERS

Basari Bhaumik, Indian Inst. of Technology, New Delhi -- A Multilayer Network
	for Determining Subjective Contours
John Johnson, U. of Mississippi -- The Genetic Adaptive Neural Network Training
	Algorithm for Generic Feedforward Artificial Neural Systems
Subhash Kak, Louisiana State U. -- State Generators and Complex Neural Memories
Brian Telfer, Naval Surface Warfare Center -- Moving Beyond LMS Energy for
	Natural Classifiers