A VLSI Neural Net Application in High Energy Physics

LINDSEY@FNAL.FNAL.GOV LINDSEY at FNAL.FNAL.GOV
Wed Apr 15 21:35:36 EDT 1992

	For those interested in hardware neural network applications,
copies of the following paper are available via mail or fax. Send requests to
Clark Lindsey at BITNET%"LINDSEY at FNAL".

            REAL TIME TRACK FINDING IN A DRIFT CHAMBER WITH A
                            VLSI NEURAL NETWORK*

	Clark S. Lindsey (a), Bruce Denby (a), Herman Haggerty (a),
			    and Ken Johns (b)

	(a) Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, P.O. Box 500, Batavia,
	    Illinois 60510.
	(b) University of Arizona, Dept of Physics, Tucson, Arizona 85721.

                               ABSTRACT

	In a test setup, a hardware neural network determined track parameters
  of charged particles traversing a drift chamber. Voltages proportional to the
  drift times in 6 cells of the 3-layer chamber were inputs to the Intel ETANN
  neural network chip which had been trained to give the slope and intercept of
  tracks. We compare network track parameters to those obtained from off-line
  track fits. To our knowledge this is the first on-line application of a VLSI
  neural network to a high energy physics detector. This test explored the
  potential of the chip and the practical problems of using it in a real world
  setting. We compare chip performance to a neural network simulation on a
  conventional computer. We discuss possible applications of the chip in high
  energy physics detector triggers.

	    Accepted by Nuclear Instruments and Methods, Section A

 * FERMILAB-Pub-92/55