Biological Threshold Function

Ashley Aitken ashley at spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au
Fri Sep 27 12:51:58 EDT 1991

G'day,

In browsing literature to help construct a simple information processing model
of (biological) neurons I have seen little discussion of the threshold
function - that is, how the threshold (membrane potential) of a neuron
changes.

I understand that there is a refractory period after each particular action
potential pulse (which effectively represents a change in the threshold
value, and hence limits the burst frequency) and their is a period of
super-excitability after this.  However, I am interested in changes
on a larger timescale.

Is there local change in the threshold value (c.f. the biases in artificial
neural networks) on a larger timescale ?

Is there any global modulation of the threshold values of groups of neurons
(say in an area of the cortex) ?

If anyone has any comments or references relevant to these questions I
would be most grateful if they could email them to me - I will
summarize if there is interest and a good response.

Regards,
Ashley Aitken.

--
E-MAIL	:	    ashley at spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au		 AARNet
SNAIL	: University of New South Wales PO Box 1 Kensington NSW 2033 Australia